The Organ Society of Western Australia

Home In The Pipeline W A Pipe Organs Links Contact Us

Hale School, Wembley Downs

Wembley Downs Hale School Chapel

Wembley Downs Hale School Chapel
Photo: Boyd Peters

Wembley Downs Hale School Chapel
Photo: Boyd Peters

Name of institution Hale School
Type of institution School
Street Address Hale Road
City Wembley Downs
State Western Australia
Postcode 6019
Country Australia
Name of building Chapel of St. Mark
Name of room
Dates of the building
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features Hale School's Chapel of St Mark is widely used by students, staff and Old Boys. There are between 15 and 20 weddings and baptisms a year and a few funerals held in the School Chapel. An end of month Family Service is well attended and is the forum for baptisms and welcome to first communion.

A wide variety of other events are also held in the Chapel including the Valedictory Chapel Service, Easter and Christmas services, the celebration of Mother's Day and Father's Day, specific House chapels and occasionally, special music or sporting services.

There is also a small Chapel or Oratory above the administration office which hosts daily morning prayer, and a weekly Eucharist on a Thursday lunchtime. These services are open to all. The Oratory is widely used for Religious Education discussions and pastoral care.
Special fittings
Other location information Hale School is the oldest independent boys’ school in Western Australia. It was founded in 1858 by the first Anglican Bishop of Perth, Dr Mathew Blagden Hale, a clergyman, educator and social pioneer. The School, which was then known as ‘The Bishop’s Collegiate School’, opened its doors on 28 June 1858, with an initial enrolment of 22 students.

The first campus was established at The Cloisters, St George’s Terrace. In 1914 the School (which was called ‘The High School’ between 1878 and 1929), moved to a bigger site at Havelock Street, West Perth. In 1961, having acquired the name Hale School in 1929, it moved to Wembley Downs, where it is currently situated on a magnificent 48 hectare site, approximately 13 kilometres to the north-west of Perth and two kilometres from the coast.

Hale School is an Anglican day and boarding school, offering primary and secondary education through to Tertiary Entrance Examination level. Whilst day scholars are enrolled from Year 1 to Year 12, boarders are normally accepted from Year 7 to Year 12.

Current enrolment numbers total 1,300, comprising 300 students in the Primary School (Years 1 to 7) and 1,000 in the Senior School (Years 8 to 12). Of this total there are 202 boarders, from various parts of Western Australia and other countries such as Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Dubai.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone 08 9347 9777
Other contact information Hale School website
Previous organ(s)
Date of previous organ None
Detail of previous organ
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organ
Information about comparable instruments to previous organ
Present organ
Type of installation
Case description
Placement in room
Builder's name F.J. Larner & Co.
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1968
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Electro-magnetic
Console type
Stop label material
General design
Playing aids
Wind pressures
Stop list


Total number of stops
Total number of ranks Five extended ranks and mixture
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status The organ has been decommissioned and replaced with an electronic instrument
Assessment of organ The organ is unplayable
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photograph of the chapel exterior from Wickipeda
Technical documents 
General documents
Supporting information
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 07 January 2009.
Photographs of the chapel organ by Boyd Peters 09 May 2021