The Organ Society of Western Australia

Home In The Pipeline W A Pipe Organs Links Contact Us

St. John's Pro-Cathedral, Perth

Perth St Johns Pro Cathedral

Name of institution St. John's Pro-Cathedral
Type of institution Church
Street Address 18 Victoria Avenue
City Perth
State Western Australia
Postcode 6000
Country Australia
Name of building Church
Name of room Sanctuary
Dates of the building 1844
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features The Cathedral is constructed of brick which has been covered with cement render and painted white. The gable roof is covered with shingles. The north and south facades are punctuated by arched windows. Buttresses have been placed at regular intervals down the length of these facades. The portico, which was removed in 1881, has been reconstructed at the western end of the building. The western gable end is punctuated by four arched windows, a pair above the portico and a single window either side of the portico. A lean-to extension is located at the eastern end of the southern facade. Entry to this section is through an arched door on the north facade. 
Special fittings The church windows are of coloured glass set in wooden mullions. Those in the lean-to section are square, four paned windows.
Other location information In 1843 approval for the request was granted from Rome (Vatican) and Father John Brady, Father John Joostens (Belgian priest) and Patrick O'Reilly (a Catechist) were soon to arrive in Fremantle on the ship 'Water Witch'.  Even though Father Brady was to stay in Perth for only two months he was able to claim a land grant for the church, on Victoria Avenue.  This was to be the site of the first Catholic Cathedral, The Church of St John the Apostle and Evangelist (St John's Pro-Cathedral). Construction commenced on 27 December 1843. The foundation stone was laid on 16 January 1844. Brady left for Rome, in 1844, to ask for assistance and advocate the establishment of a new diocese for the Swan River Colony.
Following Bishop Brady's arrival back in Perth in January, 1846, the Church of St John the Apostle and Evangelist became a cathedral as it was now the seat of a Bishop. In 1965, the building was 'modernised' and used as a classroom for convent students and for external students studying English.  Between 1979 and 1980, work was done to restore the building and to remove additions and alterations which were unsympathetic to the original design, and the buildings was adapted for use as a museum by the Catholic Church.
St. John's is now used as a church once again.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Other contact information
Previous organ(s)
Date of previous organ None
Detail of previous organ
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organ
Information about comparable instruments to previous organ
Present organ
Type of installation
Case description
Placement in room
Builder's name Paul F. Hufner
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1965
Construction materials
Number of manuals One (1)
Key compasses FF to f
Number of keys 49 notes
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests Unit chest
Type of key action Direct electric action and electro-pneumatic for bass pipes.
Type of stop action Electro-magnetic
Console type Detached stop key console with mechanical link for Swell Pedal
Stop label material
General design
Playing aids
Wind pressures
Stop list
Total number of stops
Total number of ranks One rank extended of Suabe Flute pipes scaling to principal tone in treble.  Melodic 16 ft Bass to mid. c.
Total number of pipes 92 pipes from 16 ft. F  
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Built for the Inglewood Methodist Church.
Acquired by the Loyal Orange Lodge, Inglewood, when they took over the church building.
Removed and installed at St. John's Pro-Cathedral 2008.
Removed to St Annes Catholic Church for the Centre for Traditional Latin Mass, Belmont, 2010.
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photograph of church from Wickipedia
Technical documents 
General documents Detail of the building from Wickipedia
Supporting information
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 29 December 2008.
Information updated with detail from John Larner 31 March 2010.