The Organ Society of Western Australia

Home In The Pipeline W A Pipe Organs Links Contact Us

The Chapel of St Thomas, The Hutchins School
Sandy Bay, Tasmania

Hutchins School
The old buildings of Hutchins School

Hutchins School
The Chapel

Name of institution The Hutchins School
Type of institution School
Street Address 71 Nelson Road
City Sandy Bay
State Tasmania
Postcode 7005
Country Australia
Name of building Chapel of St. Thomas
Name of room
Dates of the building
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features
Special fittings
Other location information
Hutchins was established in 1846 in memory of The Venerable William Hutchins, first Archdeacon of Van Diemen's Land, as Tasmania was then known.  The Hutchins School is one of Australia's oldest and most distinguished schools and has a proud history. Judges, bishops, leaders of industry, Victoria Cross winners, artists and sportsmen: all have attended Hutchins.
Name of contact
Mailing Address PO Box 254, Sandy Bay, Tasmania, Australia, 7006
Telephone 03 6221 4200
Other contact information
Previous organ(s)
Date of previous organ None
Detail of previous organ
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organ
Information about comparable instruments to previous organ
Present organ
Type of installation
Case description
Placement in room
Builder's name William Hill & Son, London
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1864
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Electro-magnetic
Console type Detached
Stop label material
General design
Playing aids
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
Bourdon  16'
Open Diapason 8'
Dulciana 8'
Octave Diapason 4'
Saube Flute 4'
Twelfth 2-2/3'
Open Diapason 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Gamba 8'
Principal 4'
Flute 4'
Fifteenth 2'
Cornopean 8'
Oboe 8'
Harmonic Bass 32'
Sub Bass 16'
Bourdon 16'
Bass Flute 8'
Choral Bass 4'
Total number of stops

Total number of ranks
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Built in 1864 for the Davey Street Congregational Church, Hobart.
Rebuild in 1895 by George Fincham, Melbourne, with Twelfth added to Great, Swell Lieblich Bourdon moved to Great and replaced with Oboe 16', Pedal Bourdon completed with addition of 16 pipes.
Rebuild in 1902 by Sidney Moore, Hobart, with action altered.
Restoration in 1906 by George Fincham & Son, Melbourne.
Rebuild in 1945 with action changed to tubular-pneumatic.
Rebuild in 1960 by Paul F Hufner, Perth, with action changed to direct electric.  Swell and Great divisions extended to 61 notes.
A new Cornopean was installed, the old one being transplanted to the Forrest Park Methodist Church, Mount Lawley, for use as a Trumpet until it was later replaced with a Trumpet rank.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Removed in 1981 by Brian A. Clark, R. Smith and D. Stott to the Hutchins School, Nelson Road, Sandy Bay.
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Technical documents 
General documents Information about the school from The Hutchins School web site.
Supporting information
Document control Original entries B A Clarke & J M S Johnson, Pipe Organs of Tasmania.
Additional information from GAZETTEER OF TASMANIAN PIPE ORGANS
by John Maidment, revised October 2007.
Additional information from Bob Elms 13 February 2009.
This entry D B Duncan 13 February 2009.