The Organ Society of Western Australia

Home In The Pipeline W A Pipe Organs Links Contact Us

Congregational Church, Hobart, Tasmania


Hobart Congregational

Hobart Congregational

Name of institution Congregational Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address Davey Street
City Hobart
State Tasmania
Country Australia
Name of building
Name of room
Dates of the building 1857
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features
Special fittings
Other location information The congrgation of this church first met in 1836 in the Berea Chapel, Liverpool Street, Hobart.  In 1837 a new church was built in Collins Street.  In 20 years the church had outgrown that building and built the Davey Street church in 1957
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Other contact information
Previous organ(s)
Date of previous organ None
Detail of previous organ
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organ
Information about comparable instruments to previous organ
Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding
Case description Plain casework of three flats
Placement in room Gallery
Builder's name William Hill & Son, London
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1864
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type Originally 1 1/2 octaves of "German" pedals
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Originally Mechanical, then Electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Originally Mechanical, then Electro-magnetic
Console type Detached
Stop label material
General design
Playing aids
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list Original (1864) stoplist:
Bourdon T.C. 16'
Open Diapason 8'
Dulciana T.C. 8'
Octave  4'
Saube Flute 4'
Lieblich Bourdon 16'
Open Diapason 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Octave 4'
Cornopean 8'
Bourdon 16'

Stoplist 1960:
Bourdon  16'
Open Diapason 8'
Dulciana 8'
Octave Diapason 4'
Saube Flute 4'
Twelfth 2-2/3'
Open Diapason 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Gamba 8'
Principal 4'
Flute 4'
Fifteenth 2'
Cornopean 8'
Oboe 8'
Harmonic Bass 32'
Sub Bass 16'
Bourdon 16'
Bass Flute 8'
Choral Bass 4'
Total number of stops
Total number of ranks
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Rebuild in 1895 by George Fincham, Melbourne, with Twelfth added to Great, Swell Lieblich Bourdon moved to Great and replaced with Oboe 16', Pedal Bourdon completed with addition of 16 pipes.
Rebuild in 1902 by Sidney Moore, Hobart, with action altered.
Restoration in 1906 by George Fincham & Son, Melbourne.
Rebuild in 1945 with action changed to tubular-pneumatic.
Rebuild in 1960 by Paul F Hufner, Perth, with action changed to direct electric.  Swell and Great divisions extended to 61 notes.
A new Cornopean was installed, the old one being transplanted to the Forrest Park Methodist Church, Mount Lawley, for use as a Trumpet until it was later replaced with a Trumpet rank.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Removed in 1981 by Brian A. Clark, R. Smith and D. Stott to the Hutchins School, Nelson Road, Sandy Bay.
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photograph of the church from State Library of Tasmania
Technical documents 
General documents
Supporting information
Document control Original entries B A Clarke & J M S Johnson, Pipe Organs of Tasmania.
Additional information from GAZETTEER OF TASMANIAN PIPE ORGANS by John Maidment, revised Oct 2007.
Additional information from Bob Elms 13 Feb 2009.
This entry D B Duncan 13 Feb 2009.