The Organ Society of Western Australia

Home In The Pipeline W A Pipe Organs Links Contact Us

Penrhos College, Como

Penrhos College

Penrhos College

Penrhos College

Name of institution Penrhos College
Type of institution Educational institution
Street Address 6 Morrison St
City Como
State Western Australia
Postcode 6152
Country Australia
Name of building Chapel
Name of room Choir Loft
Dates of the building 19 September 1986
Architect's and builder's names
Special architectural features
Special fittings
Other location information Penrhos College was founded in 1952 when Methodist Ladies' College (MLC) Claremont purchased St Anne's School in Angelo Street, South Perth. The school moved to its present site in Como, six kilometres south of Perth, in 1971. The school was originally a subdivision of the Methodist Ladies' College, Claremont (1907), but both now operate independently. It educates from pre-kindergarten to year 12.

Penrhos College is situated on a single suburban campus in an elevated position, on a former pine plantation. The school is 8 hectares (20 acres) in size, featuring a parkland setting and modern cream brick and terracotta-tiled buildings.

Name of contact
Mailing Address
Other contact information
Previous organ(s)
Date of previous organ None
Detail of previous organ
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organ
Information about comparable instruments to previous organ
Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding
Case description Open casework beautifully recreated to original concept
Placement in room South western corner of room
Builder's name E.Wragg, Nottingham, England
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1905
Construction materials Timber
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses CC-ggg
Number of keys 56
Key material Ivory
Pedal compass CCC-f
Number of pedals 30
Pedalboard type Radiating/concave
Originally parallel non-radiating, but a reclaimed pedalboard was supplied by Dudley Bastian and adapted to suit the organ by Pipe Organs WA..
Pedalboard material
Type of chests The wind chests are slider chests.
Type of key action Mechanical and tubular-pneumatic for Pedal
Type of stop action Mechanical
Couplers Swell to Great
Swell super to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Tremulants Swell
Console type Integral
Stop label material Stop labels are ivory, apart from the 15th.
Placement Below impost
General design
Playing aids
Divisions Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
Open diapason 8' Metal
(stopped CC-B)
8' Wood
Principal 4' Metal
(originally Dulciana 8')
Second draw on Fifteenth
Mixture (

Violin Diapason
(grooved to Stop Diapason CC-BB)
8' Metal
Stop Diapason 8' Wood
(grooved to Stop Diapason CC-BB)
8' Metal
Gemshorn 4' Metal
Oboe 8' Metal
Bourdon 16' Wood
Total number of stops 10
Total number of ranks 10
Total number of pipes 534
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ During the relocation of the organ to Penrhos Chapel the following works were carriedout by Pipe Organs WA:
    1. Re-creation of casework, display pipe restoration and painting
    2. Addition of Mixture IV
    3. New pedal mechanical and pneumatic action
    4. Building of new Swell box and mechanism for shutters
    5. Voicing improvements to all pipework
    6. Enlargement of building frame, building of new platform in the gallery and re-location of organ to Penrhos Chapel gallery
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Built in 1905 by E.Wragg, Nottingham, for St Anne's Congregational Church, St. Anne's Well Road, Nottingham, U.K.

Removed in 1969 to storage in London by Dudley Bastian.
Imported to WA from Nottingham UK 1972.
Purchased for £150.

Installed at residence of Dudley Stuart Bastian, Highgate in 1973
Removed and installed in residence of Dudley Stuart Bastian, Mount Lawley in 2007
Relocated to Penrhos College Chapel October 2016 by Pipe Organs WA..
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status In excellent condition
Fully refurbished
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photographs of the organ by John van den Berg and Dominic Perissinotto
Technical documents In The Pipeline article
General documents
Supporting information
Document control Original entry D B Duncan 01 December 2016.
Chapel building date and correction to stoplist John Beaverstock 20 August 2017
Information about the refurbishment of the organ provided by Graham Devenish 21 August 2017.