The Organ Society of Western Australia

Home In The Pipeline W A Pipe Organs Links Contact Us

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS
Holy Trinity Anglican Church, York


Holy Trinity Church York

Holy Trinity Church York

Holy Trinity Church York

Holy Trinity Church York

Name of institution Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address Corner Newcastle and Pool Street
City York
State Western Australia
Postcode
Country Australia
Name of building Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Name of room Church sanctuary
Dates of the building 1854
Architect's and builder's names Richard Roach Jewell, Architect
Special architectural features In the bell tower are eight bells. The bell specifications are (weight expressed traditionally as hundredweight-quarter-pound

BELL DIAMETER NOTE WEIGHT (cwt-qtr-lbs)
Tenor 2' 4" D 4-2-16 : 520 lbs : 236 kg
Seventh 2' 1 3/8" E 3-1-24 : 388 lbs : 176 kg
Sixth 1' 11" F# 2-2-04 : 284 lbs : 129 kg
Fifth 1' 10" G 2-1-06 : 258 lbs : 117 kg
Fourth 1' 8 1/2" A 2-0-00 : 224 lbs : 102 kg
Third 1' 7 1/2" B 1-3-06 : 202 lbs : 91.6 kg
Second 1' 6 5/8" C 1-2-16 : 184 lbs : 83.5 kg
Treble 1' 6 1/8" D 1-2-18 : 186 lbs : 84.4 kg
Special fittings

Other location information

The original Anglican Church, on the western banks of the Avon River in York, was made of mud bricks and built in 1840, consecrated in 1848 . This was the first church to be built in rural Western Australia. It was dedicated to St John the Evangelist. New glebe lands were granted to the parish on the east side of the river in 1849 and a parsonage was built in 1852 in Victorian Rustic Gothic style.

The Holy Trinity church, on the east side of the Avon River was constructed in 1854 and consecrated in 1858. The architect was Richard Roach Jewell, a prominent figure in the design of many of Western Australian early buildings. It is built in Victorian Romanesque style. When first constructed, it consisted of a nave and a small porch, but was designed to have a "lofty spire" above the tower and to accommodate 250 people.

This building was subsequently enlarged in 1873, 1893 and 1907. The 1893 enlargement included raising the roof, construction of the bell tower and addition of chancel and vestries. The organ was built by Albert E Pease and installed in 1898.

The 1907 enlargement included the construction of the transept where the organ now resides. Both churches were operating and maintained until 1905 when the second Saint John's church building was moved across the river to the Holy Trinity site and re-erected to become the parish hall.

The church building is noted for its modern stained glass windows and altar panels, both the work of renowned Australian artist Robert Juniper. The original High Altar and Walsingham Shrine feature Juniper's paintings.

The peal of eight bells were specially cast for York and are hung in the bell tower which was restored after partial destruction in the 1968 earthquake which destroyed the nearby town of Meckering. The total weight of the peal is 1,019.68 kg.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Previous organ(s)
Date of previous organ None
Detail of previous organ
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organ
Information about comparable instruments to previous organ
.
Present organ
Type of installation Free standing case
Case description Simple case with two towers and one flat
Placement in room Front right transcept
Builder's name Albert Pease, London, United Kingdom.
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1898
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses C-ggg
Number of keys 56 notes
Key material Ivory covered naturals, ebony sharps
Pedal compass C-f
Number of pedals 30 notes
Pedalboard type Concave straight
Pedalboard material Boxwood naturals
Type of chests
Type of key action Mechanical
Type of stop action Mechanical
Couplers GT to PED 8', SW to GT 8', SW to PED 8'
Tremulants Swell
Accessories   
Console type Integrated
Stop label material Ivory caps on turned wood spindles
Placement Drawknob, flat arrayed SW and Ped on left, GT on right 
General design
Playing aids Swell hitchdown lever
Four combination toe levers:
SW m and mf
GT mf and f
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures Electric blowing
Stop list
GREAT
Open Diapason 8' metal, open 56 pipes
Stopped Diapason (Bass) 8'
Clarabella (Tenor) 8'

Viol D'Amour 8' 56 pipes
Harmonic Flute 4'
56 pipes
Geigen Principal 4' 56 pipes
Fifteenth 2' 56 pipes
.
SWELL
Horn Diapason 8' 56 pipes
Gamba 8' 56 pipes
Lieblich Gedact 8' 56 pipes
Gemshorn 4'
56 pipes
Flauto Traverso 4'
56 pipes
Piccolo 2' 56 pipes
Oboe 8' 56 pipes
.
PEDAL
Bourdon
16' wood, stopped 30 pipes
.
Total number of speaking stops Fifteen (15)
Total number of ranks 15
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Renovated 1904 by J E Dodd.
Restored and moved to current location in transept 1907 J.E. Dodd, Adelaide.
Restored 1982 F.J. Larner & Co.
Action renovated 2003/2004 Pipe Organs of WA
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Moved to current location in transept 1907
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ There are no other remaining organs by Albert Pease in Australia.
The only other example of this builder's work in Australia was, until it was totally dismembered in 1986, in the Central Baptist Church Launceston, Tasmania. The organ in that location was built in 1886. It was a considerably smaller instrument than the organ in York, of one manual and six registers. The organ was altered and enlarged several times and parts of that organ now exist in the Reformed Church, Launceston, in an organ built by Hans Meijer in 1986.
Current status In fair condition
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder Albert Edward Pease, of Stoke Newington, London, was one of a band of small London organ builders working in the last decade of the 19th century . His business operated from 1890 to 1909 , after which it was taken over by Alfred Monk, London, who, coincidently, built the other slightly older pipe organ in York (Wesley Uniting Church).

Albert Pease was a well-known organ builder of the time and produced organs that were robustly and simply constructed but were not the most expensive. They were designed to last and as a result, were not at the cutting edge of organ building at the time although they did use high quality materials. The firm had a catalogue of their range of standard organs and prospective purchasers chose the size and design of organ that suited both their church and budget. Most of the organs however were of very similar specification and design, being small, two manual instruments with a full pedal board. They mostly had less than speaking 12 stops. His workshops were in Stoke Newington, London, and the firm mainly built organs for use in the UK, but they also exported organs all over the world, including USA, Australia and Canada, where a few still survive.
Photographs Photographs by Bruce Duncan
Technical documents  The restoration of the Albert E Pease organ, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, York, Western Australia.
Dr Bruce Duncan, 05 January 2020.
General documents
.
Supporting information Historical information from York Tourism
General information from WA Tourism
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 24 November 2008.
Inclusion of information from The restoration of the Albert E Pease organ, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, York, Western Australia. Dr Bruce Duncan, 05 January 2020.


  Top
Home