The Organ Society of Western Australia

Home In The Pipeline W A Pipe Organs Links Contact Us

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS
St. John The Baptist Anglican Church, Kalgoorlie


Kalgoorlie St John

Kalgoorlie St John
Photos: Elizabeth Brinsden

Kalgoorlie St John
Photo: Pipe Organs W.A.

Name of institution St. John The Baptist Anglican Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address 38 Maritana Street
City Kalgoorlie
State Western Australia
Postcode
Country Australia
Name of building St. John The Baptist's Anglican Cathedral
Name of room Church sanctuary
Dates of the building
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features St John the Baptist Church is a double volume Federation Gothic style, church located on Maritana Street and set back a short distance from the street boundary.
Special fittings It incorporates fine Gothic details such as a hammerbean roof, Corinthian style columns, lancet arches, fine stained glass and marble font.
Other location information Kalgoorlie's first Anglican church was a timber building constructed in 1896 on a site adjacent to St John the Baptist Church. The Anglican community grew significantly in the 1890s and 1900s due to the Gold Boom, and in 1909 the timber church was replaced by the current church building. In 1914 it became a Cathedral when the Kalgoorlie Anglican Diocese was created. It reverted back to being a church again in 1973 after the Kalgoorlie Diocese was reabsorbed into the Diocese of Perth.

From The Heritage Council of Western Australia
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Previous organ(s)
Date of previous organ None
Detail of previous organ
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organ
Information about comparable instruments to previous organ
.
Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding
Case description
Placement in room
Builder's name Robert Cecil Clifton
Opus number 4
Date of completion/installation 1885
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys Great 56 notes, Swell 48 notes
Key material Plastic veneer
Pedal compass
Number of pedals 29
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Mechanical and electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Mechanical
Couplers Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Tremulants
Accessories   
Console type Integral drawstop
Stop label material
Placement
General design
Playing aids
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Open Diapason 8' Metal
17 pipes on side case
Stopt Diapason 8' Wood
Principal 4' Metal 16 pipes on side case
.
SWELL
Gedeckt 8' Wood From TC
Flute 4' Wood From TC
Principal 2 Metal From TC
.
PEDAL
Bourdon 16' Wood Treble from Gedeckt
.
Total number of stops 7
Total number of ranks 7
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Alterations in 1966 by F.J. Larner  & Co. - compass completion of Open Diapason and Principal; Violin Diapason 8 transposed to 2; new side casework built.
New side chests provided in the 1970's.  Swell stops were electrified and Slik slider motors were installed.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Built 1885 for an exhibition of local work in Perth
Installed 1886 St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Perth. 
Installed present location 1924 J.E. Dodd & Sons, Adelaide.
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs
Technical documents 
General documents
.
Supporting information Historical information from Register of Heritage Places
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 15 Jan 2009
Additional detail from In The Pipeline February/March 2004
Photographs and Heritage Council information added 12 Feb 2021



Top
Home