The Organ Society of Western Australia

Home In The Pipeline W A Pipe Organs Links Contact Us

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS
St. Peter's Anglican Church
Sandy Bay, Tasmania


Sandy Bay St Peter
The Mariners Church, Franklin Wharf
Moved to Sandy Bay in 1918 and renamed as St. Peter's Anglican Church

Sandy Bay St Peter
PaulHufner stands beside the console of the organ for St Peter's, Sandy Bay.
This was Hufner's first organ to Tasmania and the woodwork is in Tasmanian Oak.

Sandy Bay St Peter
Former St Peters Anglican Church, Sandy Bay, Tasmania.
The church is now operated by Wellspring.

Name of institution St. Peter's Anglican Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address cnr Grosvenor and Lord Streets
City Sandy Bay
State Tasmania
Postcode
Country Australia
Name of building St Peter's Anglican Church
Name of room
Dates of the building
Architect’s and builder’s names Samuel Clifford
Special architectural features
Special fittings
Other location information Originally the Mariners' (or Seafarers) Church at Franklin Wharf, Hobart, the building was taken apart stone by stone and resited in 1918 in Sandy Bay and renamed St Peters Anglican Church.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Previous organ(s)
Date of previous organ 19th Century
Detail of previous organ Great organ of 58 notes, Swell of 35 notes.
Pedalboard seems to have been added when the organ was moved to St Peter's church. Mechanical action.

Stoplist:

GREAT
Open Diapason 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Principal 4'
Twelfth 2-2/3'
Fifteenth 2'
.
SWELL
Stopped Diapason 8'
Keraulophon 8'
Dulciana 8'
Principal 4'
.
PEDAL
Bourdon 16'
.
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place Said to have been built in the 19th century by Richard Nicholson, Rochdale; also at some time said to have been built by William Reed, Huddersfield, England.

Installed in St Peter's Anglican Church, Sandy Bay, from the residence of The Hon A.O. Sachse, South Yarra,.Vic. Installed by Meadway & Slatterie in 1922 .

Removed in 1958 by J. Van Emmerick (Church Organist) and later owned by K.G.B. Wilson, Marsh Street, New Town.
Variations from original design of organ None known
Information on previous organ None
Information about comparable instruments to previous organ None
.
Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding
Case description No display pipes, entire organ enclosed in plain casework.
Placement in room
Builder's name Paul F. Hufner. 
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1958
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Electro-magnetic
Couplers
Tremulants
Accessories   
Console type Detached stopkey
Stop label material
Placement
General design
Playing aids
Divisions   
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Contra Gamba 16'
Open Diapason 8'
Gedeckt 8'
Gamba 8'
Octave Diapason 4'
Flute 4'
Fifteenth
2'
.
SWELL
Open Diapason 8'
Gedeckt 8'
Gamba 8'
Flute 4'
Gamba 4'
Nazard Flute 2-2/3'
Piccolo 2'
Tierce 1-3/5'
.
PEDAL
Bourdon 16'
Echo Bourdon 16'
Quint Bass 10-2/3'
Open Diapason 8'
Gedeckt 8'
Gamba 8'
Octave Diapason 4'
Gamba 4'
.
Total number of speaking stops 23
Total number of ranks Four ranks extended
Total number of pipes 243
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Purchased 1981 Brian A. Clark and installed in his residence "Errondelle" at Franklin.
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photograph of the church from State Library of Tasmania
Photograph of Paul Hufner making the organ scanned by Megan Rohde from Hufner family records.
Technical documents 
General documents
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries B A Clarke & J M S Johnson, Pipe Organs of Tasmania.
Additional information from GAZETTEER OF TASMANIAN PIPE ORGANS
by John Maidment, revised Oct 2007.
This entry D B Duncan 12 Feb 2009.
Photograph of Paul Hufner supplied by June Westhoff 25 Sep 2010.


Top
Home