The Organ Society of Western Australia

Home In The Pipeline W A Pipe Organs Links Contact Us

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS
Our Lady of The Rosary Roman Catholic Church, Doubleview


Doubleview Holy Rosary

Doubleview Holy Rosary

Doubleview Holy Rosary

Doubleview Holy Rosary
Click for larger image


Name of institution Our Lady of The Rosary Catholic Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address 17 Angelico Street
City Doubleview / Woodlands
State Western Australia
Postcode 6018
Country Australia
Name of building Our Lady of The Rosary Catholic Church
Name of room Church
Dates of the building 1973
Architect’s and builder’s names Bonaventure Leahy
Special architectural features Toodyay stone walls
Special fittings
Other location information Part of the Holy Rosary School complex

High on the hill among tall trees and rooftops to the west of Jackadder Lake in Woodlands, the huge cross and modern spire of the church of Our Lady of the Rosary parish is clearly visible. It stands both physically and symbolically as a beacon of God's call of salvation to the world. The location and sheer presence of this church is fitting for a parish which is characterised by a generosity of spirit and service.

These are the hallmarks of Our Lady of the Rosary, a parish founded and still administered by the Dominican order with its universal vocation of preaching the Word of God. The Dominicans came to the district in the near north of Perth in 1954. Father Fintan Campbell OP celebrated the first official Mass for the new parish in the state school that stood at the corner of Odin and Scarborough Beach Roads.

A parish centred on Innaloo was officially inaugurated on 1 November, 1954. In that year the school/church was built at the corner of Beatrice Street and Phillips Grove. St Dominic's School, with the church sharing the same building, opened the following year. The school was used as the church for twelve years until a separate church was opened in December 1966.

Meanwhile Fr Campbell established a second parish in adjoining Doubleview, starting with Holy Rosary School, which was blessed and opened in February 1959. The School was staffed by Sisters of the Dominican Order. The school grew quickly and in the early 1960s a second building of three classrooms was added. The new rooms doubled as a church on weekends. A new parish church, Our Lady of the Rosary, was built in 1973 under the guidance of its designer, Fr Bonaventure Leahy OP. Every block of the pale grey Toodyay stone was quarried and cut especially for the structure. Unsurprisingly, Our Lady of the Rosary is renowned today as one of the most beautiful modern church buildings in Australia.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Previous organ(s)
Date of previous organ None
Detail of previous organ
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organ
Information about comparable instruments to previous organ
.
Present organ
Type of installation
Case description
Placement in room
Builder's name F.J. Larner & Co.
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1974
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Electro-magnetic
Couplers Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Tremulants Swell
Accessories   
Console type
Stop label material
Placement
General design
Playing aids
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Open Diapason 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Salicional 8'
Octave 4'
Rohr Flute 4'
Nazard 2-2/3'
Block Flute 2'
Mixture 26.29 II
.
SWELL
Hohl Flute 8'
Salicional 8'
Principal 4'
Flauto Traverso 4'
Octave 2'
Quint 1-1/3'
Scharf (29.33.36) III
Fagotto 16'
Trumpet 8'
Clarion 4'

.

PEDAL
Bourdon
16'
Octavebass 8'
Choralbass 8'
Flute 4'
Fagotto 16'
.
Total number of stops 24
Total number of ranks Some extension
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Paul Hufner console, pipework & chests from Perth Central Baptist Church; some pipework from 1929 F. Hufner organ, Central Baptist Church and Princess Theatre, Fremantle (Wurlitzer)
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ
Information on current organ Console is retained from the Central Baptist Church organ.
Two new cases for the new installation were made by Doug Miller.
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photograph of the school from their web site
Photograph of console by Lynne Langford 13 January 2019.
Photographs of the church from the church web site.
Technical documents /td>
General documents Church history from the school web site
and from the church web site
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 09 January 2009.
Additional detail and stop list from In The Pipeline August/September 2003.
Photograph of console by Lynne Langford 13 January 2019.
New information from church web site 08 February 2021.


Top
Home