The Organ Society of Western Australia

Home In The Pipeline W A Pipe Organs Links Contact Us

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS
St Annes Roman Catholic Church, Belmont


St Anne Belmont
The Clifton organ as it stood in St Alban's Church, Highgate

Belmont

St Anne Belmont
Fr Rowe with the organ installed in St Anne's Church, Belmont

St Anne Belmont
St Anne'Church, Belmont
Photo Southern Gazette, December 2014

Name of institution St Annes Catholic Church for the Centre for Traditional Latin Mass
Type of institution Church
Street Address 13 Hehir Street
City Belmont
State Western Australia
Postcode
Country Australia
Name of building Church
Name of room
Dates of the building
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features
Special fittings
Other location information
Name of contact

Fr Michael Rowe

Mailing Address
Telephone 9277 2251
Email
Other contact information
.
Previous organ(s)
Date of previous organ 1965
Detail of previous organ Paul F Hufner organ
Installed at West End of the nave adjacent to entry
One manual (49 notes) FF to f, no pedal
Unit chest design
Direct electric action and electro-pneumatic for bass pipes.
Stop action electro-magnetic.
The organ has a detached stop key console with mechanical link for Swell Pedal

One rank extended of Suabe Flute pipes scaling to principal tone in treble. Melodic 16 ft Bass to mid. c.
Total of 92 pipes from 16ft F.
Dates when key work has been undertaken None recorded
Dates of any moves that have taken place Built for the Inglewood Methodist Church.
Acquired by the Loyal Orange Lodge, Inglewood, when they took over the church building.
Removed and installed at St. John's Pro-Cathedral 2008.
Removed by John Larner to St Annes Catholic Church for the Centre for Traditional Latin Mass, Belmont, 2010.
Variations from original design of organ None known
Information on previous organ It is understood that the organ was removed about the same time as the second organ was installed, c.August 2014
Information about comparable instruments to previous organ There are many small Hufner organs in Western Australia. Please refer to the Organ Builders index.
.
Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding
Case description The casework of this organ, designed by Clifton in the Gothic style, resembling the work of A.G. Hill in Britain, is of considerable distinction, with carved pipeshades, cresting and projecting V tower. The spotted metal pipework was manufactured by George Fincham & Son.
Placement in room
Builder's name Robert Cecil Clifton
Opus number 5
Date of completion/installation 1895–1908.
Installed at various locations until the most recent move to this church in August 2014.
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys 56
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals 30
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Mechanical (tape and bobbin), tubular-pneumatic pedal action
Type of stop action Tubular-pneumatic
Couplers Swell - Great (Great side)
Swell - Great (Swell Side)
Great - Pedal
Tremulants None
Accessories None
Console type Drawstop
Stop label material
Placement Integrated in organ case
General design
Playing aids 3 thumb pistons to Great
3 thumb pistons to Swell
Divisions Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Open Diapason 8' Metal
Lieblich Gedeckt 8' Wood
Oktave 4' Metal
Spitzflöte 4' Metal
Fifteenth 2' Metal
.
SWELL
Lieblich Gedeckt 8' Wood
Gamba 8' Metal
Viol d'Amour 4' Wood
Flautina 2' Metal
Oboe 8' Metal
.
PEDAL
Gedeckt 16' Wood
Salicional 8' Wood
.
Total number of stops 12
Total number of ranks 12
Total number of pipes 620
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ After installation in St Alban's in 1976 the Great Salicional was removed by F.J. Larner and Co., and replaced by a metal Fifteenth and six pipes provided to complete the compass of the Great Open Diapason. The organ was purchased from the Congregational Church for $5,000 and a further $4,000 was spent on relocation and enhancements.
The organ was relocated to St Anne's Church in August 2014.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Built for the music room of R C Clifton's home at 231 Adelaide Terrace, Perth
Removed to the North Perth Congregational Church by J.E. Dodd; the instrument was opened on 22 December 1946 by Dr C. Edgar Ford broadcast on ABC radio.
Removed by F.J. Larner and Co. in 1976 and relocated with several alterations to St Alban's Church, Highgate.
Removed by F.J. Larner and Co. in August 2014 and relocated to St Anne's Catholic Church, Belmont.
Information on current organ The organ has been carefully moved to it's new home with attention to action and general cleaning.
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status In very good condition
Assessment of organ This is a fine example of a colonial organ.
Other organs by this builder Robert Cecil Clifton built five pipe organs.
Photographs Photograph of organ by Bruce Duncan
Technical documents Details of the organ from OHTA Conference Book 2004.
General documents Some historical notes from St. Alban's church web site.
.
Supporting information Information supplied from Graham Devenish, Pipe Organs of WA Pty Ltd., and from Fr Michael Rowe
.
Document control Original entries about the Hufner organ J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 31 March 2010 with detail from John Larner.
Entries about the Clifton organ D B Duncan 08 September 2014.


Top
Home