The Organ Society of Western Australia

Home In The Pipeline W A Pipe Organs Links Contact Us

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS
Scots Uniting Church, Albany


Scots Albany

Scots Albany

Name of institution Scots Uniting Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address York Street
City Albany
State Western Australia
Postcode 6330
Country Australia
Name of building Scots Uniting Church
Currently (2021) used by the Central Baptist Church, Albany
Name of room Church sanctuary
Dates of the building 1891-1892
Architect’s and builder’s names Designed by a Melbourne architect, Evander McIver (1834-1902)
Special architectural features The building is prominently positioned and has aesthetic value for its contribution to the townscape of York Street. The strong gabled form and restrained detailing of the west front, provides a balanced composition. The scale of the building and its commanding site give it a landmark quality. The finely crafted local granite stonework strengthens the regional character of the street, picking up from the Town Hall and recently echoed in 1990s Council street works. The building maintains visual links with the older St John's Church and Town Hall diagonally opposite.
Special fittings
Other location information The building belongs to that critical period of progress and development in Albany that followed the completion of the railway link to Perth. It was the third Presbyterian Church to be erected in the State and maintains a close and long association with the history and practice of Protestant worship in the Town of Albany and the State.

Scots Uniting Church, originally known as the Scots Presbyterian Church, is located on York Street the main street through the centre of Albany. It is almost opposite St John's Anglican Church, giving a quiet atmosphere along the busy street.

Built to a Victorian Academic Gothic style, it is mostly constructed of finely crafted local granite and topped with a corrugated iron roof. The church has a strongly gabled form with rendered buttresses and heavily timbered doors. Originally a Presbyterian church, it was the third Presbyterian congregation in Western Australia, commencing in January 1889. Services were originally held in the Albany Town Hall and the Penny Post buildings until the church was completed. The Melbourne architect Evander McIver was asked to draw up plans and W. Sangster was contracted to complete the construction. The foundation stone was laid in November 1891, with the building completed and opened in March 1892. The total cost of the building was 1416.

In 1969 a hall, kitchen, vestry and two rooms were added to the building and constructed from brick. The name of the church was changed in 1977 when the Presbyterian church amalgamated with other churches to form the Uniting Church in Australia.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Previous organ(s)
Date of previous organ None
Detail of previous organ
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organ
Information about comparable instruments to previous organ
.
Present organ
Type of installation Gallery rail
Case description Display of Pedal Bourdon (metal) overhangs gallery rail
Placement in room Rear gallery
Builder's name F.J. Larner & Co., Perth.
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1970
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses CC-ccc
Number of keys 61
Key material
Pedal compass CC-f
Number of pedals 30
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Electro-magnetic
Couplers
Tremulants
Accessories   
Console type Stoptab, remote
Stop label material
Placement Floor of church, left front.
General design
Playing aids
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Open Diapason 8'
A
Rohr Gedeckt 8' B
Viola da Gamba 8' C
Principal 4' A
Rohr Flute 4' B
Gemshorn 2' C
Mixture 26:29 II D
.
SWELL
Rohr Gedeckt 8' B
Viola da Gamba 8' C
Voix Celeste 8' E
Rohr Flute 4' B
Viola Octave 4' C
Nasat 2-2/3' D
Flautina 2 B
Tierce
1-3/5' B
Octavin 1' C
.
PEDAL
Bourdon 16' B
Principal 8' A
Bass Flute 8' B
Fifteenth 4' A
Choral Bass 4' B
.
Total number of stops 21
Total number of ranks 4 ranks extended and short rank for Nazard and Mixture
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Enlarged with addition of Celeste rank in 1985 by F.J. Larner & Co.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photographs of church from Albany Gateway and Wickipedia
Technical documents 
General documents
.
Supporting information Historical information from Register of Heritage Places
Historical information from State Heritage WA
Other local information from Sensational South Coast
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 23 Nov 2008.
Additional information collected during site visit by Bruce Duncan 12 Jan 2009.
Updated specification from Patrick Elms 04 Jan 2011.
Revision of historical information by Bruce Duncan 03 Jan 2021


Top
Home