The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact


Kalgoorlie St John

Name of institution St. John The Baptist's Anglican Cathedral
Type of institution Church
Street Address 38 Maritana Street
City Kalgoorlie
State Western Australia
Country Australia
Name of building St. John The Baptist's Anglican Cathedral
Name of room Church sanctuary
Dates of the building
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features
Special fittings
Other location information
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Other contact information
Date of previous organs None
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding
Case description
Placement in room
Builder's name Robert Cecil Clifton
Opus number 4
Date of completion/installation 1885
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys Great 56 notes, Swell 48 notes
Key material Plastic veneer
Pedal compass
Number of pedals 29
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Mechanical and electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Mechanical
Couplers Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Console type Integral drawstop
Stop label material
General design
Playing aids
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
Open Diapason 8' Metal
17 pipes on side case
Stopt Diapason 8' Wood
Principal 4' Metal 16 pipes on side case
Gedeckt 8' Wood From TC
Flute 4' Wood From TC
Principal 2 Metal From TC
Bourdon 16' Wood Treble from Gedeckt
Total number of stops 7
Total number of ranks 7
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Alterations in 1966 by F.J. Larner  & Co. - compass completion of Open Diapason and Principal; Violin Diapason 8 transposed to 2; new side casework built.
New side chests provided in the 1970's.  Swell stops were electrified and Slik slider motors were installed.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Built 1885 for an exhibition of local work in Perth
Installed 1886 St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Perth. 
Installed present location 1924 J.E. Dodd & Sons, Adelaide.
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photograph of organ from Pipe Organs W.A.
Technical documents 
General documents
Supporting information Historical information from Register of Heritage Places
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 15 January 2009.
Additional detail from In The Pipeline February/March 2004

DGI Web Design