The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS



Although the newspaper report says J E Dodd built the organ,
he in fact removed it from Bailingup in 1910 and installed it at
St Mary's Church in 1912, in the process changing
the action from tubular-pneumatic to mechanical.
The stoplist and pipework were unchanged.

Name of institution St. Mary the Virgin Anglican Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address Colin Street
City West Perth
State Western Australia
Postcode 6005
Country Australia
Name of building St. Mary the Virgin Anglican Church
Name of room Church
Dates of the building
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features
Special fittings

Other location information

The church was demolished in 1979 to make way for office buildings.  A new modern chapel was constructed nearby.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.

 

Date of previous organs None
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.
Present organ
Type of installation
Case description
Placement in room
Builder's name George Fincham & Son, Melbourne.
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1905
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses CC-g
Number of keys 56 notes
Key material
Pedal compass CCC-f
Number of pedals 30 notes
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Originally Tubular-pneumatic, then Mechanical, then Electro-pneumatic
Type of stop action Originally Tubular-pneumatic, then Mechanical, then Electro-pneumatic
Couplers Swell to Pedal, Swell to Great, Great to Pedal.  Later Swell Super-Octave and Swell Sub-Octave couplers added.
Tremulants
Accessories    Two composition pedals per manual division
Console type
Stop label material
Placement
General design
Playing aids
Divisions   
Wind pressures  
Stop list
GREAT
Open Diapason 8' Metal
Claribel 8' Wood
Dulciana 8' Metal
Principal 4' Metal
Flute 4' Wood
.
SWELL
Violin Diapason 8' Metal
Gamba 8' Metal
Gedact 8' Wood
Celeste 8' Metal
Octave 4' Metal
Oboe 8' Metal
PEDAL
Bourdon 16' Wood
Total number of stops 12 stops
Total number of ranks 12 ranks
Total number of pipes 646 pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Built in 1905 for the residence of  Mowbray Bunbury.
Removed in 1910 and installed in St Mary's Church, West Perth in 1912 by J E Dodd.  Action changed to mechanical.
Rebuilt in 1951 by Paul F. Hufner.
Tonal alterations in 1972 by F.J. Larner & Co. included the discarding of the Celeste and Dulciana to provide a Mixture and Gemshorn 2'.
Rebuilt in 1978 by Bellsham Pipe Organs (Australia) to provide electro-magnetic action.
Removed in 1979 by Bellsham Pipe Organs (Australia) and broken up.  Parts were used at St. Mary's Chapel.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status This organ no longer exists
Assessment of organ This was the only organ built by the well-respected Melbourne firm of George Fincham & Son in Western Australia.
Both the church and the organ were broken up in 1979.
Other organs by this builder
Photographs
Technical documents 
General documents
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 01 January 2009.
Newspaper cutting provided by Andrew Gardner 07 December 2010.




DGI Web Design
Home