The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

St John 01
St John of God Hospital, Subiaco, October 1981

StJoh  02
Convent Chapel at St John of God Hospital, Subiaco, October 1981

St John 03
St John of God Hospital, Subiaco, October 1981. Chapel visible at right side.

St John 05
Chapel at St John of God Hospital, Subiaco, April 1983, after convent had been demolished.

St jOhn 06
View of Chapel from the 7th floor of St John of God Hospital, Subiaco, July 1988.





Name of institution St John of God Hospital
Type of institution Hospital
Street Address Salvado Road
City Subiaco
State Western Australia
Postcode
Country Australia
Name of building St John of God Chapel
Name of room Chapel
Dates of the building The St John of God Hospital (SJOGH) was opened by the Sisters of St John of God in the Perth suburb of Subiaco on 19 April 1898.
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features
Special fittings
Other location information The building was demolished in 1988
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs None
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.
Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding
Case description
Placement in room Rear choir gallery
Builder's name J. E. Dodd & Sons Gunstar Organ Works, Adelaide
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1957
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys 61
Key material Celluloid covers and Ebony sharps
Pedal compass
Number of pedals 30
Pedalboard type Concave radiating pedalboard
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-pneumatic
Type of stop action Electro-pneumatic
Couplers Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Tremulants
Accessories   
Console type
Stop label material
Placement
General design
Playing aids
Divisions   
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Great Open Diapason 8
Clarabel 8 A
Dulciana 8 B
Principal 4 C
Flute 4 A
Fifteenth 2 C
Swell to Great
.
SWELL
Bourdon 16 D
Violin Diapason 8 E
Lieblich Gedackt 8 D
Dulciana 8 B
Octave Diapason 4 E
Stopped Flute 4 D
Dulcet 4 B
Nazard 2 2/3 D
Flautina 2 D
Oboe 8
Tremulant
Octave Unison Off
Sub Octave
.
PEDAL
Subbass 16 A
Bourdon 16 D
Bass Flute 8 D
DolceBass 8 B
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
.
Total number of stops
20
Total number of ranks Seven ranks, five extended
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Built in 1957 for St John of God Chapel, Subiaco.
The organ was located in a second storey rear gallery on the axis of the large chapel.
Removed 1988 and installed at St Denis Church, Joondanna in 1994 by Pipe Organ Builders and Services.
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs State Library of Western Australia
Technical documents 
General documents
.
Supporting information
.
Document control

This entry D B Duncan 22 January 2009.
Photographs from State Library of WA 17 February 2018.
Stoplist derived from information provided by Graham Devenish for the organ now in St Denis Church, Joondana 17 February 2018.





 



DGI Web Design
Home