The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

Riverton

Riverton


Name of institution Our Lady Queen of Apostles Catholic Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address Tudor Avenue South
City Riverton
State Western Australia
Postcode
Country Australia
Name of building Our Lady Queen of Apostles Catholic Church
Name of room Sanctuary
Dates of the building 1970
Architect’s and builder’s names Mr Frank Bradley, Architect.  Mr. Les Serfozo, Builder.
Special architectural features
Special fittings The mosaic floor of the baptismal area with the different coloured, swirling tiles symbolising the seven sacraments and the new life of
baptism was executed by Mrs. Titelius.
A wood-carving of the risen Christ was crafted in the Philippines  from Ipil wood by Filipino woodcarvers.
Other location information The Riverton Parish was officially established on Easter Sunday,
25th March 1951. The event was marked with the first Mass being
said in Riverton public hall by Fr. Kupke SAC, then regional of the
Pallottine Fathers.
Early in 1953 all was in place for the commencement of building a
new Church/School. On the 9th March 1953 the foundations for the church were laid.
In August 1969, having been chosen to design the new parish
church, the architect, Mr Frank Bradley presented his plan for a new church building. The building of the new church began with the
pouring of the foundations on June 19th 1970 with Mr. Les Serfozo
as the builder. The blessing and opening of the church together with
the consecration of the altar took place on 19th December 1970 with Archbishop Goody as the main celebrant. The celebration of
Christmas a week later in the new church was a wonderful
experience for all.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.
Present organ
Type of installation Recessed and projecting into Church
Case description Console and casework built by Doug Miller.
Timber surrounds for front pipes built by Graham Devenish.
Placement in room Recessed and located on a ledge.
Builder's name F.J. Larner & Co
Opus number The organ is the last new extension instrument built by F J Larner & Co.  Organs built after this time utilised mechanical action.
Date of completion/installation The building of the new church pipe organ by John Larner began on
the 1st June 1971 and the completed instrument was blessed at the
9.00am Mass on 11th July 1971
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two
Key compasses CC-c
Number of keys 61
Key material
Pedal compass CCC-f
Number of pedals 30
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Electro-magnetic
Couplers Swell to Great, Swell to Pedal, Great to Pedal
Tremulants
Accessories    4 Divisional pistons each, reversers, 1 full organ, setting by individual levers, on-off neutral
Console type Detached, Square sided stop key.
Stop label material
Placement
General design
Playing aids
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Principal 8'
Rohr Flute 8'
Salicional 8'
Octave 4'
Flute 4'
Twelfth 2 2/3'
Larigot 1 1/3'
Mixture III
Trumpet 8'
.
SWELL
Rohr Flute  8'
Salicional 8'
Gemshorn 8'
Flute 4'
Salicet 4'
Nazard 2 2/3'
Flautina 2'
Mixture III
Trumpet  16'
Trumpet 8'
Trumpet  4'
Tremulant
.
PEDAL
Subbass 16'
Principal 8'
Flutebass 8'
Octave 4'
Flute 4'
Trombone 16'
Trumpet 8'
Clarion 4'
.
Total number of stops 29
Total number of ranks 6 ranks extended
Unenclosed: Principal 8'
Enclosed: Subbass - Rohr Flute 16', Salicional 4', Gemshorn 4', Mixture III rks 1', Trombone 16', Trumpet 8'
Total number of pipes 512
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Built and installed 12 months after new building was opened.
Restored / Rebuild: 1999 by F J Larner & Co - Cleaning and overhaul, releathering of bellows.  Alterations to make access easier.
New front pipe screen 1999 by Pipe Organs W.A.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status In good condition
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photographs of organ from Pipe Organs WA Pty Ltd.
Technical documents  Details of the church from their web site.
Details of the organ from Pipe Organs WA Pty Ltd.
General documents
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 15 December 2008.
Additional detail from In The Pipeline April/May 2004.





DGI Web Design
Home