The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact


WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

Queens

Q2

Name of institution Queen's Hall
Type of institution Auditorium
Street Address William Street
City Perth
State Western Australia
Postcode 6000
Country Australia
Name of building Auditorium
Name of room
Dates of the building 1899
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features
Special fittings
Other location information On this site in William Street, Perth, the Queen’s Hall was built in 1899 for the owners, the Wesley Methodist Church. (opened 19 April, 1899)  Among the early artists to appear there were Dame Nellie Melba and Clara Butt. With the advent of film, Queen's Hall became the venue for Vic's Pictures.

In 1927 Hoyts Theatres Ltd negotiated with the church to rebuild on the site and lease it, transforming it into the Regent Theatre, complete with chandeliers imported from Italy and a Wurlitzer organ. The theatre was not as large nor as opulent as the Regent theatres that were Hoyts flagships in the other Australian capitals. The Perth Regent was designed by architects Bohringer, Taylor and Johnson and opened on 9th September 1927. The opening film was "Three Bad Men" with George O'Brien and Olive Borden.

In 1928, many professional musicians who had supported the silent movies found themselves out of work, and under the direction of Harold Newton, formed the Perth Symphony Orchestra. The first performance by this group of professional players was given in the Queen's Hall. The program included Dvorak's New World Symphony. By 1930, the orchestra not only gave concerts in the Queen's Hall but also presented ten subscription concerts in the Town Hall. Many of these concerts were broadcast over the radio station 6WF.  In 1950 this group became known by the present name: the West Australian Symphony Orchestra.

In 1938 Hoyts took over management of the larger Perth Ambassador’s Theatre from Union Theatres Ltd,. the lease of the Regent was transferred to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, and it was thereafter known as the Perth Metro Theatre. Under this management the theatre was refurbished both internally and externally in modern art deco style designed by architects Baxter, Cox & Leighton.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs None
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.
Present organ
Type of installation
Case description
Placement in room
Builder's name Bishop & Son, London and Ipswich,
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1875, installed this auditorium 1908
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Electro-magnetic to slider chests
Couplers Seven (7)
Tremulants
Accessories   
Console type
Stop label material
Placement
General design
Playing aids
Divisions   
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
8'
8'
4'
2-2/3'
2'
1-3/5'
IV
 
SWELL
8'
8'
4'
4'
2'
III
Cornopean 8'
CHOIR
PEDAL
16'
16'
8'
8'
4'
16'
4'

Total number of stops 22
Total number of ranks
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Organ installed 1875 at Wesley Church, Perth.
In 1908 the organ was moved next door to Queens Hall, William Street, Perth (later Metro Theatre).

In 1926 the organ was relocated by W L Roberts Ltd, Adelaide, to Wesley Methodist Church, Claremont (job no 96). 
Rebuilt in 1955 by J.E. Dodd & Sons Gunstar Organ Works, Adelaide. Electro-pneumatic action and new console installed; swell Cornopean and Dulciana extended to Ped. 16'.
In 1984 Hale School Assembly Hall, Hale Road, Wembley Downs, became the organ’s next and current home. Installed byF.J. Larner & Co. with tonal alterations.  Third manual prepared for.
Information on current organ The first pipe organ to be installed in Western Australia was this 1875 instrument for Wesley Church, Perth.  This organ served Wesley Church for over 30 years in its original location. 
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs
Technical documents 
General documents
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 19 January 2009.

Historical photos sourced by Dr A Gardner, 22 March 2016

 



DGI Web Design
Home