The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

Perth Central Baptist
Perth Central Baptist

tEXT

Perth Central Baptist
The Alexander Library is constructed over the site of Central Baptist Church



Name of institution Central Baptist Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address Museum Street
City Perth
State Western Australia
Postcode 6000
Country Australia
Name of building Central Baptist Church
Name of room Church
Dates of the building 1899, demolished 1979
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features
Special fittings
Other location information This was Western Australia's first established Baptist Church with the Foundation Service being held in the Perth Town Hall on the 23 June 1895.
May 1899 saw the Opening and Dedication of a church building in Museum Street. This was not only the worship and outreach centre of Perth Church but also was used for many years by the WA Baptist Union for meetings and assemblies.
A forced land resumption by the State to make way for a Cultural Centre led to relocation of the church to its present site on the corner of James and Stirling Streets with the new church Dedication and Opening being held on the 23 June, 1973.
When passing the Alexander Library on the way to the church, stop by the entrance to the Library and there on a pillar is to be found a brass plate which marks the site of the first Baptist Church in WA. The Foundation Stone from the Museum Street site is embedded beside the Stone of the present building.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs None
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.
Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding
Case description
Placement in room Front left of sanctuary
Builder's name F. Hufner
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1929
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action
Type of stop action
Couplers
Tremulants
Accessories   
Console type
Stop label material
Placement
General design
Playing aids
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
(P F Hufner rebuild)
GREAT
16'
Open Diapason 8'
Flute 8'
Principal 4'
4'
2-2/3'
2'
2'
.
SWELL
8'
8'
4'
Oboe 8'

.

PEDAL
Contra Salicional
16'
10-2/3'
8'
4'
.
Total number of stops 16
Total number of ranks
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Rebuilt and enlarged in 1957 by Paul F. Hufner.  Electro-pneumatic action at this stage.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Church demolished and organ removed 1973.
Relocated to Church of the Holy Rosary, Doubleview.
Contra Salicional 16' later incorporated into the organ at Yarloop Steamshed as a Gamba 8' rank.
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photograph of the Alexander Library from Wickipedia
Photographs of the church and organ from the State Library of Western Australia.
Technical documents 
General documents Church history from the Perth Baptist Church web site.
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 09 January 2009.
Additional information from Bob Elms 06 February 2009.
Additional information about the Contra Salicional noted by Bruce Duncan in conversation with John Larner, 9 May 2009.
Photos of church and organ supplied by Andrew Gardner 28 August 2009.
Newspaper clipping sourced by Lynne Langford 12 July 2018




Home