The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS
Mount Lawley Perth College

Mount Lawley Perth College

Mount Lawley Perth College

Mount Lawley Perth College


Name of institution Perth College
Type of institution School
Street Address 31 Lawley Crescent
City Mount Lawley
State WA
Postcode 6050
Country Australia
Name of building Chapel of St Michael and All Angels
Name of room Chapel of St Michael and All Angels
Dates of the building 1927
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features
Special fittings There are many interesting features in the Chapel which date back to the time of the Sisters’ and some later additions which reflect the faith of past members of the School Community.
Other location information Perth College is one of the many schools founded worldwide by the Community of the Sisters of the Church, an Anglican religious order founded in 1870 by Emily Ayckbowm.  The school was established in St Mary’s Hall in Colin Street West Perth in 1902 with 32 girls. The demand for the introduction of boarding students increased and as a result, ‘Hawkesbury’ situated near Kings Park was opened in 1903. Due to the development of ‘Hawkesbury’ for boarders and ‘Cowandilla’ for the junior students together with the amalgamation of other subsidiary schools under the control of the Sisters, 1916 saw the move to the current site in Mt Lawley. Enrolments increased and the building program flourished.  Feeling that their work was done and by adhering to the motto Pro Ecclesia Dei - For The Church of God, the Sisters in 1968 handed over the school to the Anglican Province of Western Australia.
Name of contact
Mailing Address PO Box 25, Mout Lawley, WA, 6929
Telephone (08) 9471 2100
Email info@pc.wa.edu.au
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs None
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.


Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding
Case description Jarrah frames and paneling, two flat towers of Dulciana basses either side of Diapason flat.
Casework restored 1990 by Mal Adams with fine finish and colour, carved tracery highlighted in gold.  New case is about 30% smaller than the original because the space required for the tubular pneumatic action was no longer necessary.  Display pipes had formerly been a dull zinc grey but have been highly polished for the new case.
Placement in room Rear gallery
Builder's name W L Roberts Ltd, Adelaide
Opus number 107 (one of his last organs)
Date of completion/installation 1928
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses CC-aaa
Number of keys 58
Key material White naturals, ebony sharps
Pedal compass CCC-F
Number of pedals 30
Pedalboard type Concave radiating
Pedalboard material Beech
Type of chests Slider chests
Type of key action Electric
Type of stop action Electric solenoids
Couplers Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Great super
Swell sub
Swell super
Swell Unison off.
Tremulants Provision for Swell tremulant
Accessories    4 General thumb pistons to Sw and Gt, Gt – Ped
Console type Integrated to cases
Stop label material Ivortex
Placement
General design
Playing aids
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Open Diapason 8' Metal
Stopped Diapason 8' Wood B
Dulciana 8' Metal
Principal 4' Metal
.
SWELL
Gemshorn 8'
Clarabel Flute 8' Wood open, except bass 18 A
Viol da Gamba 8' Metal
Suabe Flute 4' Metal
Piccolo 2' Metal
Oboe 8' Metal
.
PEDAL
Bourdon
downwards extension of Clarabel flute, encl.
16' Wood  A
Subbass
downwards extension of Stopped Diapason.
16' Wood B
.
Total number of speaking stops 11
Total number of ranks 9 + 2 downward extensions
Total number of pipes 546
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Originally built in 1928 as follows, tubular pneumatic key action, mechanical stop action. 
GREAT
Open Diapason 8'
Stopt Diapason 8'
Dolce 8'
Lieblich Flute 4'
.
SWELL
Hohl Flute 8'
Viola da Gamba 8'
Voix Cleste 8'
Suabe Flute 4'
Oboe 8'
.
PEDAL
Bourdon
16'
Subbass
16'
.
Couplers:
Swell to Great Suboctave
Swell to great Unison
Swell to Great Superoctave
Swell Sub Octave
Swell Superoctave
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
The original cost of the organ was £ 1,000.00.00.
Tonal alterations in 1977 by F.J. Larner & Co.  Swell Dolce converted to Larigot 1 1/3'.
Electrified action in 1979 by Bellsham Pipe Organs (Australia).
Rebuilt in 1998 by F.J. Larner & Co.  Larigot removed and restored as a Dulciana on the Great, Larigot 
later incorporated into the organ at Yarloop Steamshed as a Gedeckt 8' rank.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder St Andrew's Church, Perth
Christ Church, Claremont
Sisters of Mercy Convent, Perth
Photographs Photographs by Bruce Duncan
Technical documents  Organ specification and details from Pipe Organs WA
General documents College information from the Perth College web site.
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 22 January 2009.
Additional information from Graham Devenish 10 February 2009.
Additional information about the removal of the Larigot noted by Bruce Duncan in conversation with John Larner, 9 May 2009.
Additional detail from In The Pipeline August/September 2000
Photographs of church and organ by Bruce Duncan 26 May 2012




DGI Web Design
Home