The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

Mosman St Hilda

Mosman St Hilda

Mosman St Hilda

Mosman St Hilda

Name of institution St. Hilda's Anglican Girls School
Type of institution School
Street Address Bay View Terrace
City Mosman Park
State Western Australia
Postcode 6012
Country Australia
Name of building Chapel
Name of room
Dates of the building 1993
Architect’s and builder’s names Brian Klopper of North Fremantle
Special architectural features Apart from the marble floor, local materials have been used in their natural state. There is a strong reference in general form and spatial organisation to an English parish church; this was intended as a concern for cultural roots within a multicultural society.
The design and layout of windows pay respect to the bright natural light of Perth. Clear glass was used throughout to allow subsequent generations to add coloured glass in stages reflecting the ongoing life of the School as a worshipping community.
Special fittings The LeFanu Oratory was dedicated in 1979 and included three stained glass windows of the Risen Christ, Saint Hilda and the Parable of the Sower. These are now in the oratory at the East end of the Chapel.
Maria-Cristina White-da Cruz of Subiaco created the rose window at the West end behind the organ, installed in 1997. This was a gift of the Gale family. She also made the small window in the Le Fanu Oratory (Prayer Room) and the window on the stairs leading to the organ loft.
Other location information The school was first established in Claremont in 1896.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone (08) 9285 4100
Email
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs None
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.
Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding
Case description Open flat pipe display
Placement in room Rear gallery
Builder's name F.J. Larner & Co.
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1994-95
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses C-ggg
Number of keys 56
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Direct electric
Type of stop action Direct electric
Couplers Swell Octave, Swell Suboctave, Swell Unison Off, Swell to Great, Swell to Pedal, Great to Pedal
Tremulants Swell
Accessories    128-level memory system, four general pistons to Swell and Great, eight toe studs., General Cancel
Console type Detached drawstop
Stop label material
Placement In front of organ case, side on, next to gallery rail
General design
Playing aids
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Open Diapason 8'
Dulciana 8'
Clarabel Flute 8'
Principal 4'
Wald Flute 4'
Twelfth 2-2/3'
Fifteenth 2'
Mixture III
.
SWELL
Violin Diapason 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Principal 4'
Fifteenth 2'
Cornopean 8'
.
PEDAL
Bourdon 16' A
Bass Flute 8' A
Bassoon 16'
.
Total number of stops 16
Total number of ranks 17
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ

The organ has been moved forward from its original position hard against the rear wall to allow better access for maintance.
The four level memory system installed in the rebuilt organ was changed to a new 128 level system at some stage prior to 2015.

Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ
Information on current organ Incorporates the remaining 1874 Hill & Son pipework and two slider chests from St George's Anglican Cathedral, Perth.
The organ was originally built by Hill and Son of London in 1875 for St George's Church, Perth. It was moved in 1888 to the new St George's Cathedral, expanded in 1903 and 1927 and rebuilt in 1959. In 1994 the organ was dismantled and removed to make way for a new instrument.

Original 1874/75 specification of the Hill & Son organ:
GREAT  
Open Diapason 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Dulciana 8'
Principal 4'
Wald Flute 4'
Twelfth  2-2/3'
Fifteenth    2'
Mixture II
.
SWELL
Open Diapason 8' grooved bass
Hohl Flute  8'
Principal  4'
Fifteenth  2'
Oboe 8'
.
PEDAL
Open Diapason 16'
Bourdon 16'
.
3 couplers
3 composition pedals
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status In very good condition
Assessment of organ Bright and lively in a dry acoustic
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photographs of the chapel and organ by Bruce Duncan.
Technical documents 
General documents An interesting virtual tour of the building is available on the St Hilda's Chapel web site.
.
Supporting information
.
Document control

Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 31 January 2009.
Additional information from Bob Elms 11 February 2009.
Information on the organ and stop list from personal inspection by Bruce Duncan 09 November 2009.
Updated specification from Patrick Elms 04 January 2011.
Update to memory system advised by Don Cook 18 April 2015




DGI Web Design
Home