The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

Geraldton Francis Xavier

Geraldton Francis Xavier

Geraldton Francis Xavier

Geraldton Francis Xavier

Geraldton Francis Xavier

Geraldton Francis Xavier
Dominic Perissinotto and Anthony Pope in concert

Geraldton Francis Xavier
Detail of the organ casework

Geraldton Francis Xavier


Name of institution St Francis Xavier Cathedral
Type of institution Catholic Church
Street Address Cathedral Avenue
City Geraldton
State Western Australia
Postcode 6530
Country Australia
Name of building St Francis Xavier Cathedral
Name of room
Dates of the building 1916-1938
Architect’s and builder’s names

Priest architect John Cyril Hawes arrived in Geraldton in 1915 to take up the parish priest position. He started work on the cathedral straight away.  The cathedral’s foundation stone was laid in 1916 and the building was completed in 1938.

Special architectural features The Cathedral is of the Inter War Romanesque period and style of architecture, although the HCWA Register Entry and assessment by Ian Molyneux, attributes it principally as Arts & Crafts whilst acknowledging Romanesque influences and elements.   "St Francis Xavier Cathedral, through manipulation of the site in the Arts & Crafts manner, generates a cultural environment in its own right.  The aesthetic qualities include a deliberate synthesis of aesthetic experiences, Hawes, himself, attributed a Roman style to St Francis Xavier Cathedral, with features from the Norman-Romanesque (11th Century) and Renaissance (17th Century) and admitted to borrowing the towers from the Californian Franciscan missions of San Luis Rey and Santa Barbara (18th & 119th Centuries)."

The Cathedral is built of local Geraldton stone, and confidently employs wide-span arches and skillfully laid rubble and ashlar.  Rendered mouldings emphasise openings and decoration, providing contrast against the textured stonework.  The  main form of the building follows the east-west axis which is accentuated, at the western end, by twin, stepped towers either side of the  Romanesque arched entry and recessed baroque styled, elevated gable end which terminates the nave. The stepped, or tiered, dome capped towers are octagonal in plan at the upper levels over square, ground floor bases.  At the lower level, the northern tower has louvered circular openings originally intended for clocks whilst the southern tower has vertical arched openings.  Together with a large octagonal dome at the crossing with the minor north-south axis, the towers dominate the Cathedral. 

To the east a smaller, circular, 15th century chateaux style tower, identifies the sacristy externally and provides a visual contrast or incongruity to the overall Romanesque character of the Cathedral.  Thought to be a later addition, this tower is more reminiscent of Hawes’ Northampton, St Mary’s in Ara Coeli Church (1936).  The higher central nave is given expression externally by the lower roofed aisles with their rendered arched windows and decoration. 
Special fittings

The interior features Romanesque columns, huge arches beneath an octagonal dome and zebra striping of the walls. Needless to say the architecture is a blend of styles.  In as far as the design it may be said it follows the round arched classical style of ancient Rome.  The twin towers of the west from are very much like the Californian Mission Church in Santa Barbara and the large central dome over the crossing has a fleeting resemblance to Brunellesci's famous Cupola in Florence.


The first thing that strikes most people about the interior of the building is its colouring  - arranged in stripes of grey with orange markings. It resembles the fashion of many churches and cathedrals of Italy, such as Sienna and Orvieto.  Visitors who have visited the Great Mosque at El Cordoba, Spain also remark on the similarity of interior design, albeit on a much smaller scale, and the colour scheme.
Other location information
St Francis Xavier Cathedral is a spectacular church in the centre of Geraldton that you will find as magnificent on the inside as it looks from the outside. Designed by the parish priest John Hawes, it took 22 years to build.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone 08  9483 1111
Email
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs None
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.
Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding 
Case description Distinguished polished Jarrah casework, Great above Swell with two flanking Pedal towers
Placement in room Left chancel
Builder's name F.J. Larner & Co
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1980-81
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses CC-g
Number of keys 56
Key material
Pedal compass CCC-F
Number of pedals 30
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Mechanical
Type of stop action Electro-pneumatic
Couplers Swell - Great, Swell - Pedal, Great - Pedal
Tremulants Swell
Accessories   
Console type Reversed attached drawstop console
Stop label material
Placement Integral
General design
Playing aids Six adjustable general combination pistons, balanced Swell pedal
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Principal 8' Display
Chimney Flute 8'
Octave 4'
Twelfth 2-2/3'
Flagelot 2'
Tierce TG 1-3/5'
Mixture 19.22 II
 
SWELL
Hohl Flute 8' Wood
Gemshorn 8'
Spitz Flute 4'
Principal 2'
Quint 1-1/3'
Cymbal 26.29 II
Tremulant
PEDAL
Subbass 16' Wood
Gedecktbass 8' Wood
Choral Bass 4'
Bassoon 16'

Total number of stops 17
Total number of ranks 19
Total number of pipes 960
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Organ was completed by F.J. Larner & Co in 1993-94.  Addition of Swell Gemshorn and Pedal Bassoon.
The organ was taken down and a new instrument constructed in 2017.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ None
Information on current organ An outstanding instrument
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status Subsumed into new organ
Assessment of organ This organ was the first mechanical action instrument to be built with a reversed console in Western Australia.  Trackers run in three tiers under the console platform into the organ body.
The tracker action incorporates floating backfall beams to adjust to temperature extremes found in Geraldton so that the depth of touch at the keys remains constant throughout the year.
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photograph of church exterior from Britannica
Photographs of church interior and organ by Bruce Duncan
Technical documents  Detail of the organ taken from the opening booklet (1981) and from observation of the instrument by Bruce Duncan.
General documents Architectual information from City of Geraldton-Greenough
Information about the cathedral from the Geraldton Diocese
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 08 January 2009.
Additional detail from F J Larner & Co brochure, 2000.
Organ subsumed into new instrument 2017.

 


Home