The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS


Name of institution Catholic Education Centre
Previously Home of the Good Shepherd
Type of institution Education Development Centre
Street Address Ruislip Street
City Leederville
State Western Australia
Postcode
Country Australia
Name of building Chapel of St Michael the Archangel 
Name of room Chapel
Dates of the building 1938
Architect’s and builder’s names The original buildings were designed by Architect Richard Joseph Dennehy
Den
Special architectural features The buildings which comprise the Catholic Education Centre were established in stages from 1903 to the 1920s by the Good Shepherd Sisters.  Built of brick and Cottesloe stone, the building was first occupied on 21 September 1904.3
The Chapel of St Michael the Archangel was built in 1938 in the neo-Gothic architectural style to accommodate the seating of seventy nuns.
Special fittings In 1957 the Sisters removed the beautiful stained glass window on the first floor for ventilation purposes. The damaged window was stored under the Chapel for some years, then given to an antique dealer in York. The dealer kept it for 33 years until it was recognised by the Principal at New Norcia College (Sr Marie-Therese Flemming sgs) in 1990, who believed it belonged to the Good Shepherd Convent at Leederville.
The antique dealer had actually restored the window for sale in 1989. The window was purchased by Michael King on behalf of the Catholic Education Office. After purchase and repair, the stained glass window was restored to its original place in 1991.
Other location information The magnificent grounds of the Catholic Education Centre are an essential part of the heritage value of the complex. The existing gardens to the south side are one of a handful of largely intact Edwardian gardens in Perth.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs None
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.
Present organ
Type of installation
Case description
Placement in room
Builder's name J.E. Dodd & Sons Gunstar Organ Works, Adelaide.
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1964
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Electro-magnetic
Couplers
Tremulants
Accessories   
Console type
Stop label material
Placement
General design
Playing aids
Divisions   
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
.
SWELL
.
PEDAL


.
Total number of stops
Total number of ranks Seven (7) ranks extended
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs
Technical documents 
General documents
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 26 January 2009.
Newspaper clipping provided by John Lane 22 March 2018.




 


Home