The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

Guildford St Matthew

Guildford St Matthew


Guildford St Matthew

Guildford St Matthew

Name of institution St. Matthew's Anglican Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address Stirling Square
City Guildford
State Western Australia
Postcode
Country Australia
Name of building St. Matthew's Anglican Church
Name of room Church
Dates of the building 1873
Architect’s and builder’s names Built by Matthew Wallace to the designs of F. Sherwood.
Special architectural features St Matthew's Church is located on the site of the earlier church of 1860. 
The building is in the Gothic style;  the west end includes a porch and a bellcote surmounting the gable.
Special fittings
Other location information
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information Church web site:  www.stmatthewschurch.org.au
.
Date of previous organs 1875-79
Detail of previous organs Robert Cecil Clifton organ of 2 manuals, 9 stops (spare slide), 2 couplers, tracker action.  Built for St. John's Anglican Church, Fremantle.

GREAT
Open Diapason 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Principal 4'
Octave 2'
.
SWELL
Hohl Flute 8' 8' 39 pipes
8' 39 pipes
8'
12 pipes
Wald Flute 4'
.
PEDAL
Sub Bass 
16'
.
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place Installed 1884 St Matthew's Anglican Church, Guildford.
Removed, overhauled and installed at St Aidan's Church, Claremont, 1910-1912 by J.E. Dodd, Adelaide.
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs This instrument has the distinction of being the first organ built in Western Australia by a Western Australian builder.
Robert Cecil Clifton was then a clerk in the Lands Department of the Western Australian Public Service.
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.
Present organ
Type of installation Organ Chamber
Case description Gothic case, shallow in design but well detailed.  
Central corbel holds the three lowest Diapason pipes.
Placement in room Right Transept
Builder's name J.E. Dodd, Adelaide
Opus number
Date of completion/installation Contract let 1905
Organ completed and installed 1911
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses CC - aaa
Number of keys 58
Key material
Pedal compass CC - f
Number of pedals 30
Pedalboard type Concave and radial (not original)
Pedalboard material
Type of chests Slider
Type of key action Electro-pneumatic
Type of stop action Electro-pneumatic
Couplers Swell sub-octave, Swell super-octave, Swell to Great, Swell to Pedal, Great to Pedal.
Tremulants Swell tremulant
Accessories    Balanced Swell pedal, combination pistons to manuals and toe levers to pedal.  
Full dust casework on organ to prevent ingress of detrius
Console type Stopkey console
Stop label material
Placement Integral with organ case
General design
Playing aids

Swell  expression pedal
Manual pistons mp and ff selected by setterboard
Original crescendo pedal not installed (mechanism destroyed)
Toe pedal to engage registration according to mini stop buttons
Toe pedal to engage tremulant
Toe pedal to engage tuti (full organ)

Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures


Stop list
GREAT
Open Diapason 8'
Lieblich Gedact
Replaced original Claribel.  
8'
Principal 4'
Suabe Flute
4'
Fifteenth
Not original, from cut down Dulciana
2'
.
SWELL
Geigen Diapason 8'
Hohl Flute 8'
Viole d'Orchestre 8'
Flauto Traverso 4'
Oboe 8'

.

PEDAL
Bourdon 16'
Bass Flute 8'  
.  
Total number of speaking stops

11

Total number of ranks 11
Total number of pipes 610
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ The contract for the organ was given to J E Dodd in 1905 and built in 1911 by J.E. Dodd with a tubular pneumatic action, according to vestry records.  Some information within the organ shows items dating from 1905.
Paul F. Hufner carried out an electrification of the primary pneumatic stage of the key action in 1951 and at some stage after this date the original wind system was replaced with a single–rise regulator. 
In the 1970s the pneumatic slider motors were replaced by SLIC slider motors by a teacher at Guildford Grammar School. 
In 1994, F.J. Larner & Co. constructed a new mechanical action for the organ, although this was never completed owing to lack of funds.  At this time, the original Great Claribel was replaced by a Lieblich Gedact of Dodd manufacture and came from a 1928 organ salvaged from Sydney.  The original Dulciana was cut down to provide a Fifteenth.
In 2003–04 Patrick Elms & Co. refurbished the organ using the original restored slider chests with a new electric action and refitting of the console with replica Dodd stopkeys of the period.  The pattern for the stop keys was taken from the original stop rail of St Mary's Cathedral, which had used the same unusual style of stop keys.  The Dodd sound of the organ has been preserved.  All of the existing Dodd components were reused while missing parts have been remade in the Dodd style – new winding, slider motors, Great windchest pneumatics and console fittings.
In 2010 Patrick Elms & Co fitted an electronic transmission system to activate the super and sub Swell couplers that had been inoperable for many years (possibly since the 1951 rebuild).
In 2016 a totally enclosed casework was installed in the organ to prevent ingress of dirt and moisture. At the same time a new Pedal Bass Flute 8' was made to provide much more felxibility for that division. The manual pistons, which had been inoperable because the mechanism was destroyed many years ago, were reinstated using electric action. A setter board allows the organist to chose the stops for each piston. The final piece of restoration for the organ was the installation of three toe pedals. It was not possible to determine the original function of these pedals because they and their mechanism had been removed. So the first (left side) of these pedals operates a registration pre-selected by mini-stop buttons installed above the actual console stop tabs. The second toe pedal operates a reconstructed tremulant. The third (right side) toe pedal is a tuti and brings in the full organ. Each of these pedals locks in with a timber fall and is released by toeing the fall back and allowing the pedal to disengage.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ The organ has not been moved.
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ Angaston Uniting Church, SA.
St Mary The Virgin Anglican Church, Burra, SA.
St Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Tanunda, SA.
Parkside Baptist Church, SA
St John the Evangelist, Adelaide, SA.
Pilgrim Uniting Church, Launceston, TAS.
St Thomas the Apostle, Claremont, WA
Ross Memorial Church, West Perth, WA.
St Brigid's Catholic Church, West Perth, WA
St George's College Chapel, Crawley, WA
Current status In very good condition
Assessment of organ The organ is a fine example of a Dodd instrument in almost original condition.
Other organs by this builder There are many existant Dodd organs in Australia
J E Dodd
Photographs Photographs of organ by Bruce Duncan and Mark Quarmby.
Photograph of J E Dodd from OHTA web site.
Technical documents  Details of the organ and building from OHTA Conference Book 2004.
General documents Refer to Gathered Fragments, Leon D. Cohen, 1979, for biographical and other detail of Robert Cecil Clifton.
.
Supporting information Organ Historical Trust of Australia
Conference Book, October 2004.
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
Organ Historical Trust of Australia Conference Book, October 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 05 January 2009.
Updated information from Patrick Elms 5th May 2010.
Updates and additional information from John Beaverstock 5 October 2010
Updated information about 2016 restoration by Bruce Duncan 29th January 2017.



DGI Web Design
Home