The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

Guildford Grammar

Guildford Grammar


Guildford Grammar

Guildfor Grammar


Guildford Grammar School
Original cases designed by Sir Walter Tapper, the School architect,
containing the Norman & Beard organ of 1913


Guildford Grammar School
Choir practice showing original organ case


Guildford Grammar
The F. J. Larner organ case

Name of institution Guildford Grammar School
Type of institution School
Street Address Corner Great Eastern Highway and Terrace Road
City Guildford
State Western Australia
Postcode
Country Australia
Name of building Chapel of Saint Mary and Saint George
Name of room Church
Dates of the building 1912–14
Architect’s and builder’s names English architect Sir Walter Tapper (1861–1935)
Special architectural features The building and its fittings were donated by an Englishman, Cecil Henry Oliverson, and built of Donnybrook stone.  Externally, the west front is framed by two prominent stone turrets, the side walls of the six–bay nave run sheer to the parapet, and at the east end the vestries are placed under a low lean–to roof between buttresses of huge projection.  Internally, there is a plaster barrel vault intersected by stone ribs while the finely crafted pews are placed parallel to the side walls of the building.  The floor is of marble laid in contrasting slabs and high in the side walls a stone passage runs around the building between the windows.
Special fittings The building contains many splendid fittings, such as the painted reredos (by Jack Bewsey), lectern (by William Bainbridge Reynolds) and stained glass; it is undoubtedly the most lavish school chapel in the country.    The Resurrection window, dating from 1988, was designed by Perth artist Robert Juniper and made and installed by Adelaide–born, stained glass window artist Cedar Prest.  The new stained glass window behind the organ, at the west end (1995), is also by Cedar Prest.
Other location information During World War II the Chapel was used as a millitary hospital.  Distinctive red and white contrasting tiles in the shape of the Swiss Cross were laid on the roof so that the building could be clarly identified by enemy aircraft should they happen to be attacking the nearby Guildford (Perth) Airport.  These tiles, now faded, are still discernable.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs 1913
Detail of previous organs Norman and Beard, London and Norwich, organ.
2 manuals, 7 stops, 4 couplers, tubular-pneumatic action.
Gt: 8.8.4.  Sw: 8.8.4.  Ped: 16.

Divided cases by Sir Walter Tapper.
Dates when key work has been undertaken Overhauled and releathered 1950's by Paul F Hufner.
Dates of any moves that have taken place Installed in the David Law-Davies Assembly Hall in 1978 by students and teachers of the College.  
Dismantled in 1996 and moved to the F.J. Larner organ factory at Bayswater for storage.  
Later moved to the Larner residence at Yarloop.
Restored in 2008 for installation in the Church of our Lady Queen of Peace 
Catholic Church, Willagee, in 2009.  
Variations from original design of organ There are no changes to the stop list but the Willagee installation will include new cases in the original spirit of design and new actions. These were unfortunately destroyed many years ago.
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs Trinity Uniting Church, Perth
St. Patrick's Anglican Church, Mouth Lawley
.
Present organ
Type of installation Freestanding
Case description Gothic style
Placement in room Rear gallery
Builder's name F.J. Larner and Co.
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1972
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys 56
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals 32
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Mechanical
Type of stop action Electro-pneumatic
Couplers
Tremulants
Accessories    Adjustable thumb & toe pistons (40 channel capture system)
Cymbelstern
Console type Drawstop console
Stop label material
Placement Integrated with casework
General design
Playing aids Swell  expression pedal
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Principal 8'
Rohr Flöte 8'
Octave 4'
Koppel Flöte 4'
Nasat 2-2/3'
Block Flöte 2'
Tierce 1-3/5'
Fourniture 19.22.26.29 IV
Trompette 8'
Tremulant
.
SWELL
Spitz Flöte 8'
Viola da Gamba 8'
Principal 4'
Rohr Flöte 4'
Octave 2'
Larigot 1-1/3'
Scharff  29.33.36 III
Dulzian 16'
Trumpet 8'
Tremulant

.

PEDAL
Sub Bass
16'
Octave 8'
Gemshorn 4'
Mixture 15.19.22
III
Posaune 16'
Schalmei 4'
.
Total number of stops

24

Total number of ranks 31
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ In 1995 a new Gothic–style case, more in keeping with the architecture of the building was designed by Lynn Kirkham, constructed and installed by Ridge Furniture. 
In 1996 Lynn Kirkham designed and built a new mechanical key action.  The only tonal alteration from the original is the addition of a Viola da Gamba stop on the Swell and a lowering by one break the pitch of the Swell Scharff.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status In excellent condition and regular use
Assessment of organ A seminal early example of the work of the Australian organ reform movement, with the pipework encased within reflecting boxes without pipeshades.
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photographs of organ and chapel by Bruce Duncan.
Historical photographs from John Larner (F J Larner & Co)
Photographs of chapel interior from the OHTA web site.
Technical documents  Details of the organ and building from OHTA Conference Book 2004.
General documents
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
Additional information from F J Larner 01 December 2008.
This entry D B Duncan 06 January 2009.
Photographs of the original organ case from John Larner entered 21 January 2009.
Additional information from John Larner 26 January 2009.
Correction of date of old organ installation in David  Lawe -Davies Centre by Andrew Gardner 09 February 2010.
Updated specification from Patrick Elms 04 January 2011.




DGI Web Design
Home