The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

Johnston Memorial Church

Johnston Memorial Church
Interior in 1927, showing the Clifton organ

Name of institution Johnston Memorial Congregational Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address Adelaide Street
City Fremantle
State WA
Postcode
Country
Name of building Johnston Memorial Congregational Church
Name of room Sanctuary
Dates of the building Demolished 1969
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features
Special fittings
Other location information
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs 1880, Opus 2
Detail of previous organs Robert Cecil Clifton
2m., 12 sp.st., 3c.,tr. 

GREAT
8'
8'
8'
4'
4'
2-2/3'
2'
 .
SWELL
8'
8'
4'
4'
8'
.
PEDAL
16'
.
Dates when key work has been undertaken Renovated 1906 by J E Dodd.
Dates of any moves that have taken place Removed in 1929 by Russell Fowler to make way for new organ and relocated to Congregational Church, Bunbury.
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs FROM THE WEST AUSTRALIAN
8 August 1893

THE organ of Johnston Memorial Church, Fremantle, is one of the first that Mr. Cecil Clifton has erected, and is an excellent instrument. It has long been felt that it should be placed upon the ground floor at the pulpit end of the church, instead of in an end gallery. Shortly after the arrival of the Rev. S. Bryant, as interim pastor, it was decided to effect this improvement. The work has been carried out under the direction of Mr. Clifton, who has successfully realised his idea of removing the wind chest several feet to the rear of the organ, so that it can be overhauled at any time, and all annoyance arising from the mechanical work of blowing the bellows, and from escapes of air might be obviated. The organ has been used for the last two Sundays with entire satisfaction, end is to be formally, re-opened this evening, at 7.30, by an Organ Recital and Sacred Concert, in which the leading talent of Fremantle will be combined.  Admission is by complimentary tickets, which have only been restricted by the seating capacity of the church.

FROM THE WEST AUSTRALIAN
9 August 1893

AN organ recital was held last evening at the Johnston Memorial Church, Fremantle, to inaugurate the re-erection of the organ in the church. The Rev. S. Bryant presided, and there were also present the Revs. E. T. Dunstan, W. H. Peters, A. F. Ferguson, C. Brown, and W. A. Potts. Mr. W. O. Mason acted as organist, and Mr. G. Skaife as conductor.  The choir was very greatly augmented by the kind assistance of a number of ladies and gentleman outside the congregation, and the programme of sacred music was rendered with completeness and full expression. Mr. W. O. Mason's organ solos, Andante in A flat, and March in G, were excellent pieces. Mrs. Broomhall contributed a much appreciated solo, and Miss Haley's rendering of " He shall feed His flock," from the Messiah, was excellently sung. Mr. Blauton's rich voice was heard to  advantage in "It is enough," from Elijah, his expression giving full light and shade to this beautiful passage. Miss Mofflin's sweet contralto voice showed evident care in her solo, "The Lord is mindful of His own." Mr A. Boss and Mr. Jones contributed solos. At the close of the recital the Rev. S. Bryant gave an address in which he made special reference in eulogistic terms to the work
done by Mr. Cecil Clifton and Mr. W. O. Mason, in connection with the re-erection of the organ.
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.


Present organ
Type of installation
Case description
Placement in room
Builder's name Norman & Beard
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1892, installed 1894
Construction materials
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses
Number of keys
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Electro-magnetic
Couplers
Tremulants
Accessories   
Console type
Stop label material
Placement
General design
Playing aids
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Bourdon 16'
Open Diapason 8'
Dulciana 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Principal 4'
Flute 4'
Twelfth 2 2/3'
Fifteenth 2'
 
SWELL
Open Diapason 8'
Stopped Diapason 8'
Principal 4'
Mixture II
Hautboy 8'
Horn 8'
.
PEDAL
Open Diapason 16'
Bourdon 16'
Principal 8'
Flute 8'
.
Total number of stops 18
Total number of ranks
Total number of pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Built 1892 installed 1894 Trinity Congregational Church, Perth.
Removed and  installed 1929 Johnston Memorial Church, Fremantle.
Removed, rebuilt and installed 1969
at St Patrick's Church, Mt Lawley by Paul F. Hufner.
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs
Technical documents  Provided by the Norfolk Organists' Association and sourced by Anne Page:

Norfolk
EDP = Eastern Daily Press
General documents
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 27 December 2008.
Photographs and transcripts from Andrew Gardner 25 August 2009.
Historical newsprint sourced by Anne Page 28 March 2016.
Historical detail provided by Jennifer Fowler 23 June 2017.

 


DGI Web Design
Home