The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact


WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

Mid01
Our Lady of Mount Carmal Church, Middle Park
Photo: John Maidment

Mid01
The New Organ
Photo: Church website

Mid03
Horizontal Trumpets
Photo: John Maidment

Mid01
New Console
Photo: John Maidment


Name of institution Our Lady of Mount Carmal
Type of institution Church
Street Address Richardson Street, Albert Park
City Melbourne
State Victoria
Postcode 3206
Country Australia
Name of building Our Lady of Mount Carmal
Name of room Church sanctuary
Dates of the building 1906
Architect’s and builder’s names
Special architectural features
Special fittings

Other location information

The parish has been in the care of the Carmelite Order of priests and brothers since April 1882 when the first Carmelite priests, Prior Butler and Father Shaffrey, arrived to take charge of the newly created parish of Sandridge (Port Melbourne). Their new parish, formerly part of Emerald Hill (South Melbourne), extended along the beachfront from the river at Port Melbourne to Fitzroy Street, St. Kilda. The Carmelites celebrated their first Mass on 7 May 1882 in St Joseph’s, Port Melbourne, which had opened up in 1881.

The boom conditions of the 1880s encouraged the Carmelites to buy and build on a large scale. Several parcels of land were bought in the parish for use as possible future churches. The Carmelites also bought land on Beaconsfield Parade and built their first Priory there in 1886. As the Middle Park/West St Kilda end of the parish began to expand, plans were made for two new churches, one in Richardson Street, Middle Park and another in Mary Street, West St Kilda.

In November 1891, the Carmelites opened the first Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel on the corner of Richardson and Wright Streets, Middle Park. The church, which accommodated 500 people, was a red and buff brick with cement facings, in Gothic style and with a tall belfry at the south-east corner. A pipe organ was installed to accompany the singing of High Mass on Sunday mornings and Vespers and Benediction on Sunday evenings.
Name of contact  
Mailing Address  
Telephone  
Email  
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs 1907
Detail of previous organs The organ was built by Frederick Taylor and consisted of two manuals. It was opened in the previous church in February 1908.4 No contemporary description of the instrument has been located.
Dates when key work has been undertaken  
Dates of any moves that have taken place  
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs  
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs  
.
Present organ
Type of installation Free standing
Case description Gothic dark timber
Placement in room Rear Gallery
Builder's name Frederick Taylor
Opus number  
Date of completion/installation 1929
Construction materials  
Number of manuals 3
Key compasses  
Number of keys 58
Key material  
Pedal compass  
Number of pedals 30
Pedalboard type  
Pedalboard material  
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-pneumatic
Type of stop action Electro-pneumatic
Couplers  
Tremulants Swell
Positiv
Choir
Accessories     
Console type The Laurie drawstop console is now placed forward in the gallery, and the 1929 Taylor console, disconnected, is placed at the rear.
A New mobile console is provided on the nave floor.
Stop label material  
Placement  
General design
Playing aids  
Divisions     
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Open Diapason no 1 8
Open Diapason no 2 8
Clarabel 8
Dulciana 8
Principal 4 rescaled 2012
Harmonic Flute 4
Twelfth 2-2/3
Fifteenth 2
Fourniture 15.19.22.26 IV 1987 recomposed with additional rank 2012
Trumpet 8 replaced 2012, original in storage,
Swell to Great
Positiv to Great
Choir to Great
`
SWELL

Bourdon 16 bass unenclosed
Geigen Principal 8
Gedackt 8
Viol d'Orchestre 8
Voix Celeste 8 TC
Gemshorn 4
Lieblich Flute 4
Mixture 15.19.22 III III 1987
Double Trumpet 16 A 1987
Cornopean 8 A 1987
replacing original Cornopean
Oboe 8
Clarion 4 A 1987
Tremulant
Swell Sub
Swell Unison Off
Swell Octave
Positiv to Swell
`
POSITIV 2011
Principal 8 gvd.bas
Stopped Diapason 8
Octave 4
Piccolo 2
Larigot 1-1/3
Cymbal 22.26 II
Clarionet 8 2012
Tremulant
Positiv Sub
Positiv Unison Off
Positiv Octave
`
CHOIR (enclosed except Trompette)
Hohl Flute 8
Viola 8
Salicional 8
Vox Angelica 8 TC
Wald Flute 4
Nazard 2-2/3 TA 1987
Flageolet 2 1987
Tierce 1-3/5 TA 1987
Vox Humana 8
Tremulant
'Elijah' Trompette en Chamade 8 2012
Choir Sub
Choir Unison Off
Choir Octave
Swell to Choir
Positiv to Choir
`
PEDAL
Quint Bass 32 derived 1987
Open Diapason 16
Bourdon 16 B
Principal 8
Flute 8 B
Octave Flute 4 B
Trombone 16 1987
Double Trumpet 16 A
Trumpet 8 A
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Positiv to Pedal
Choir to Pedal
`
Total number of stops 48
Total number of ranks 49
Total number of pipes  
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Original organ built F Taylor 1907
The organ was rebuilt and enlarged by Frederick Taylor to three manuals and was dedicated on 30 June 1929
The organ was rebuilt in 1986-87 by S.J. Laurie Pty Ltd. The key and stop actions were converted to electro-pneumatic and a second three-manual drawstop console provided, this being placed in one of the transepts.
The organ was enlarged in 2011-2012 by Pipe Organs WA. The work has consisted of the provision of a new four-manual terraced console, located in the right transept, addition of a Positiv division, sited on the gallery rail, addition of a horizontal Trumpet (envisaged in the Laurie rebuild), the moving forward and laterally of the divided cases in the rear gallery and their outwards extension by an additional flat, with newly constructed side panels, all in the architectural style of the original. A new Trumpet 8 was placed on the Great in place of the original, which is in storage in the blower room, and the composition of the Laurie Great Mixture was revised, with a fourth lower rank. The Trumpet was installed in 2015 at St John's Church, Northam
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ  
Information on current organ  
Comparable instruments to current organ  
Current status  
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder  
Photographs  
Technical documents   
General documents Refer to Organ Historical Trust of Australia
.
Supporting information  
.
Document control This entry D B Duncan 11 March 2018.