The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

Dalkeith St Lawrence
The Dodd console for St Lawrence's Anglican Church.  Original console demolished.

Dalkeith St Lawrence
Detail of woodwork on console

Dalkeith St Lawrence
Keydesk of the Dodd console

Name of institution St. Lawrence's Anglican Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address cnr Viking & Alexander Roads
City Dalkeith
State Western Australia
Postcode
Country Australia
Name of building St. Lawrence's Anglican Church
Name of room
Dates of the building 1957
Architect’s and builder’s names Designed by Hawkins and Sands, built by Sloan Constructions
Special architectural features The architect responsible for the design was Anthony Solarski, whose prolific detail sketches were initially developed on yellow bond paper. These revealed his concern for the proportion, colour and texture of the components of the masonry surfaces in the design. An important design doctrine adopted by Solarski was what is called negative detailing whereby junctions between materials were treated by forming a grooved recess at the joint rather than the accepted method of covering the junction with a moulding.
Solarski also adopted specific and conscious methods for the control of insolation, most evident on the north and west wall of the building. Further, the low roof pitch, the massing of the components and the flat internal ceilings are a fundamental rejection of the Gothic pointed arch as an ecclesiastical idiom in favour of the Mediterranean Romanesque.  Accordingly, the building is an innovative post war example of the coordinated amalgamation of form and function.
The exterior was restricted to three basic, yet harmonious materials - beige face brickwork, rendered and rough cast concrete details and traditional Mediterranean orange terra cotta cordova roof tiles. The roof is a saddle back type of low pitch, the rough cast perimeter beam raking to form the gable barges. The masonry surfaces have been treated as sculptural structural panels. An intermediate perimeter beam emerges at first floor level as window shading, the entry canopy and the cantilevered beam split to project internally and externally thereby implying the volume of the Lady Chapel. The full height window openings in the Nave wall provide a clear statement of the proportions and enunciate the solid to void ratio and giving the building its scale and rhythm. The choice of beige pressed clay bricks sets the building into its period in this locality.
Special fittings
Other location information The Parish of Dalkeith evolved from the Parish of East Claremont in May 1955. The former Rector of East Claremont, Reverend A F J Blain, was appointed and took services in a house on the south west corner of the intersection of Waratah Avenue and Adelma Road, some distance from the present site. The new Vestry which included Mr Charles Court (later to be premier of WA), Mr Lloyd Fethers, Mr Oliver Hynes and Mr Reg North soon decided to demolish the old house and build a new hall on the site. The design and construction of the Rectory in Alexander Road was commenced by 1956, followed by the commissioning of the design and later, the construction of the new church.  The foundation stone was laid by the Governor, Sir Charles Gairdner, on 28 April 1957 and the building was consecrated on 15 September of the same year.
Name of contact
Mailing Address 56 Viking Road, Dalkeith
Telephone 9386 3675
Email
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs None
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.
Present organ
Type of installation Free standing in rear gallery
Case description No Case
Placement in room Rear gallery
Builder's name F. Hufner, Perth / J E Dodd, Adelaide
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1929 / 1933
Construction materials Timber
Number of manuals Two (2)
Key compasses CC-cccc
Number of keys 61
Key material White synthetic ivory naturals, ebony sharps
Pedal compass CCC-F
Number of pedals 30
Pedalboard type Concave radiating
Pedalboard material
Type of chests Two Slider chests, 4 unit chests
2 manual slider chests -
Great (5 ranks) 2400mm x 700mm
Swell (8 ranks) 2400mm x 1000mm
1 two rank slider chest estimated 350mm x 2600mm
3 unit chests: 
2600mm x 180mm (Open Diap - case pipes)
150mm x 2400mm
300mm x 2400mm
1 pedal main chest 2600mm x 450mm
Type of key action Electro-pneumatic
Type of stop action Electro-pneumatic
Couplers
Swell Sub Great Sub
Swell Super Great Super
Swell to Great Swell to Pedal
Swell to Great Sub Great to Pedal
Swell to Great Super
Tremulants Swell
Accessories   
Console type Free standing - 900mm deep (add extra 360mm for pedal board and players bench) x 1700mm wide x 1270mm high (add extra for music desk on top of lid.)
Stop label material Finger tabs
Placement
General design Square, carved casework
Playing aids 3 pistons to each division
Divisions    Great, Swell, Pedal
Wind pressures Approx. 80mm wg
Stop list
GREAT
Open Diapason 8' Metal 73 pipes A
Dulcina 8' Metal 61 pipes
Stopt Diapason 8' Wood  61 pipes
Gamba 8' Metal 61 pipes
Harmonic Flute 4' Metal 61 pipes
Octave Diapason 4' A
Clarinet 8' Metal 61 pipes
.
SWELL
Lieblich Bourdon 16' Wood  61 pipes B
Melodic Diapason 8' Metal 61 pipes
Hohl Flute 8' Wood  61 pipes
Aeoline 8' Metal 61 pipes
Vox Celeste 8' Metal 49 pipes
Flauto Traverso 4' Metal 61 pipes
Dulcet 4' Metal 61 pipes
Gedact 2' Metal 61 pipes
Oboe 8' Metal 61 pipes
Vox Humana 8' Metal 61 pipes
.
PEDAL
Acoustic Bass 32' B
Bourdon 16' B
Sub bass 16' Wood  30 pipes
Cello 8' Metal 30 pipes
.
Total number of speaking stops 21
Total number of ranks 18
Total number of pipes 1,036
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Built in 1929 by F. Hufner for the residence of Walter Johnston and Herbert J. Eales, as a 2 manual organ with Beale player mechanism (console & chests by Arcus Ltd, Perth).
Rebuilt and enlarged in 1933 by J.E. Dodd, Adelaide.  New chests were installed and the player mechanism removed.
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Removed and installed in St Laurence's Anglican Church, Dalkeith, in 1963 by E. Dodd with no apparent changes.  The above stoplist is for the organ as it was in St Lawrence's church.  The original Hufner stoplist is not recorded.
Removed c1978 by David Brown.  
Relocated to storage at . in 2009.
Information on current organ Height - probably about 3.5m to top of Swell box.
All pipework from inside the enclosure are mitred to fit.
Three sprung and mass loaded regulators with control valves, most of the trunking all under the chests.
The organ is unusual in having been built originally for a private residence (especially an instrument of that size) rather than shifted to a house from a church, as is more common.
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photographs of organ console taken in the workshops of Pipe Organs WA Pty Ltd without any restoration.
Technical documents  Stoplist and organ detail from Pipe Organs WA Pty Ltd
General documents Detail of the building and church history from Dalkeith Anglican web site.
.
Supporting information
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999, 2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 19 January 2009.
Stoplist from Graham Devenish 09 March 2009.
Additional information and dimensions of organ components and photographs from Graham Devenish 23 March 2009.
Additional comments from David Brown 5 February 2011.




DGI Web Design
Home