The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact


WESTERN AUSTRALIAN PIPE ORGANS

Christ Church Claremont

Christ Church Claremont

Christ Church Claremont

Christ Church

Name of institution Christ Church Anglican Church
Type of institution Church
Street Address Queenslea Drive
City Claremont
State Western Australia
Postcode
Country Australia
Name of building Christ Church Anglican Church
Name of room Church
Dates of the building 1893
Architect’s and builder’s names J Talbot Hobbs and T W L Powell
Special architectural features The style and architecture of the church which may be described as "Victorian Gothic Revival" echoes architectural components often found in English medieval parish churches.
Special fittings Shingled roof - last replaced in 1999.
The twelve "Corinthian" style iron columns (representing the twelve apostles) were cast in the Perth foundry of Wright and Gibb.
The pulpit and eagle lectern were made in 1902, by Perth woodcarver, William Howitt.
The pipe organ originally built in 1926 was extended and modified in 1967 and the console was moved to its present location during a major renovation in 1994.
The large square altar was carved by Michael Chaney and consecrated by Archbishop Peter Carnley in 1997.
Icons written by Marice Sariola include: The Great Crucifix which reveals St John the Evangelist's view of Christ's death, Our Lady of Tenderness and Christ Pantocrator.
Spaces of interest include: the Oratory (formerly the Vestry), the Beryl Cook meeting room (formerly the Choir Vestry), the Bell-ringing room (Catherine Hope Room) also used by parents of young children during services and Baptisms.
The beautiful windows reflect a range of aesthetic, religious and commemorative interests.
Other location information After some years of Anglican worship in the schoolroom close to the banks of the Swan River (now Claremont Museum), the foundation stone of the present building was laid on 10 September 1892. Built of locally-quarried Cottesloe limestone, Christ Church is one of the oldest suburban parish churches in Perth.

The original part of the church, which extended from the position of the old high altar, westwards, approximately to the steps between the chancel and the nave, was designed by architect J Talbot Hobbs, and consecrated by the second Bishop of Perth, Harry Hutton Parry on 11th April 1893. It was built at a cost of £800. The nearby Rectory followed in 1897. Extensions to the church were built in 1901 and 1909, planned and supervised by distinguished architect T W L Powell. The tower was completed in 1938.

In October 1968, a large part of Western Australia was shaken by an earthquake that had its epicentre at Meckering in the Wheatbelt, about 150km inland from Perth, and some damage was done to the fabric of the church. The original stone had also deteriorated and extensive restoration of the foundations, walls and roof of the church was necessary. These restorations, which cost $100,000 were dedicated by Bishop Michael Challen in March 1981.

The year 1988, the Bicentenary of European settlement of Australia, was marked by the installation of a peal of six bells. These came originally from the church of St Paul's, Canonbury, London and were donated by Mr Laith Reynolds Vice-president of the Australian and New Zealand Association of Bell-ringers, in memory of his brother. The largest bell weighs 390kg, and so the tower needed to be strengthened with a steel frame when the bells were installed.

The building is entered by the Australian Heritage Commission on the register of the National Estate, and is also listed by the National Trust of Western Australia. In 2004 a full-scale Conservation Report was prepared by Considine and Griffiths Architects to guide the conservation and future use of Christ Church and Rectory for the protection of cultural and heritage values.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Telephone
Email
Other contact information
.
Date of previous organs
Detail of previous organs W. L. Roberts Ltd., Adelaide, Opus 109, built in 1926
Dates when key work has been undertaken Originally tubular-pneumatic action.
Known specification:
GREAT
Open Diapason 8'
Clarabel 8'
Violin Cello 8'
Dulciana 8'
Principal 4'
.
SWELL
Bourdon 16'
Geigen Diapason 8'
Lieblich Gedackt
8'
Viola da Gamba 8'
Viol Celeste 8'
Suabe Flute 4'
Oboe 8'
.
PEDAL
Sub Bass
16'
Bourdon 16'
Dolce Bass 16'
Bass Flute 8'
.

Alterations including electrification of action by Cousans Ltd 1933.
Rebuilt and electrified 1967 with addtions by J.E. Dodd & Sons Gunstar Organ Works, Adelaide (Swell reed unit). 
New Great pipework 1968-1972 F.J. Larner & Co.  2m., 22 sp.st., 6c, elpn.  Gt: 8.8.4.2.1-1/3.III.  Sw: 8.8.8.4.III.8.16.8.4.  Ped: 16.16.16.8.8.16.8.
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
.
Present organ
Type of installation Left Chancel chamber
Case description Plain facade pipes
Placement in room Front left of sanctuary
Builder's name Bellsham Pipe Organs
Opus number
Date of completion/installation 1992
Construction materials
Number of manuals Three (3)
Key compasses
Number of keys
Key material
Pedal compass
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-pneumatic
Type of stop action Electro-pneumatic
Couplers Swell to Great
Positive to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Positive to Pedal
Great and Pedal combinations coupled
Swell Superovtave
Swell Suboctave
Swell Unison Off
Positive Superoctave
Positive Suboctavemetropolitan united church toronto canada
Positive Unison Off
Swell to Positive
Tremulants
Accessories   
Console type Detached, drawstops on  45 degree jambs
Stop label material
Placement In the Chancel choir stalls, opposite the organ
General design
Playing aids Multi-level capture system
Divisions    Great, Swell, Choir, Pedal
Wind pressures
Stop list
GREAT
Contra Dulciana 16'
Open Diapason 8'
Clarabel Flute 8'
Princiapal 4'
Open Flute 4'
Twelfth 2 2/3'
Fifteenth 2'
Mixture III
Trumpet 8'
Clarion 4'
.
SWELL
Geigen Diapason 8'
Lieblich Gedackt
8'
Viola da Gamba 8'
Voix Celeste 8'
Suabe Flute 8'
Fifteenth 2'
Mixture III
Oboe 8'
Double Trumpet 16'
Trumpet 8'
Clarion 4'
.
POSITIVE / SOLO
Rohr Flute 8'
Dulciana 8'
Flute de Cornet 4'
Flagelot 2'
Cornet V
Krummhorn 8'
Trumpet 8'
.
PEDAL
Sub Bass
16'
Dolce Bass 16'
Principal 8'
Twelfth 5 1/3'
Fifteenth 4'
Trombone 16'
Double Trumpet 16'
Trumpet 8'
.
Total number of stops 36 stops
Total number of ranks 26 ranks
Total number of pipes 1,700
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ Electric primary actions provided 1933 Cousans Limited.
Rebuilt and enlarged 1967/69 J E Dodd & Sons Gunstar Organ Works.
Enlarged 1968 F J :Larner & Co.
Rebuilt and enlarged 1992 Bellsham Pipe Organs - not completed.
Overhauled and completed 1994 F.J. Larner & Co 
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ
Information on current organ A look at the history of the organ reveals what the earliest instruments were is unclear, however it appears that a large American reed organ was purchased in 1905.

In 1926 the long awaited pipe organ was installed. This instrument was built by W.L.Roberts of Adelaide & Melbourne and consisted of 2 manuals and 15 speaking stops. The action was tubular pneumatic and a detached drawstop console. Tonally, with many stops in unison and lower some of the quieter stops were condidered superior at the time. Eight of these stops remain and form the nucleus of the present instrument.

It seems the pneumatic actions proved unreliable (because mice liked the skins used on the key pneumatics!) and circa 1933 the firm of Cousans Ltd, Engineers (probably in consultation with Joe Dean) installed electric primary actions. After 35 years these were worn out and J.E. Dodd and Sons, Gunstan Organ Works of Adelaide overhauled the organ with the provision of a new console, under actions and 2 new stops, Trumpet and Mixture III ranks.

The completion of this work coincided with a renewed interest in organ and choir music of the earlier times and also with new compositions. The organ, tonally fell short of meeting the requirements and therefore a new range of stops was added to give it life and brightness. This work was carried out in 1968 by F.J. Larner & Co.

The bulk of the pair of organ cases posed a difficulty in maintaining the asthestic beauty of the chancel area. The decision to rebuild and relocate the organ with the addition of a 3rd manual was made in 1991 a contract was signed with Bellsham Pipe Organs.  Sadly, the project did not eventuate for the celebration of the centenary of the consecration of Christ Church at Easter 1993. In January 1994 F.J. Larner & Co. dismantled the organ for rebuilding and 2 of the 3 manuals were completed in 1994.
Comparable instruments to current organ
Current status
Assessment of organ The completed organ with 3 manuals, 37 speaking stops and 1,700 pipes is designed to fully meet the musical requirements of Christ Church Claremont and as such is capable of realizing the organ literature. The tonal scheme is not slavish to any particual school, but consistent voicing based on W.L. Roberts musical ideals, ensures that it has a character of it own.
Other organs by this builder Perth College Chapel
St Andrew's Church
Sisters of Mercy Convent
Photographs Photograph of the church from the church web site.
Photographs of the organ by Bruce Duncan
Technical documents 
General documents
.
Supporting information History of the church from the church web site.
History of the organ from Pipe Organs WA Pty Ltd.
.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 25 November 2008.
Stoplist taken from concert program 26 April 1998 and In The Pipeline March/April 1999.



DGI Web Design
Home