The Organ Society of Western Australia
Home  About us  Members  Executive  Constitution  Events  In The Pipeline  Pipe Organs in WA  Links  Contact



St Matthews Huffner organ

The organ rebuilt in Clackline

Name of institution Anglican Church of the Holy Apostles
Type of institution Church
Street Address Cnr Lang and Niven Street
City Carnamah
State Western Australia
Postcode 6517
Country Australia
Name of building Anglican Church of the Holy Apostles
Name of room Church sanctuary
Dates of the building 1964
The Foundation Stone was laid on 20th July 1963.
Architect’s and builder’s names Ean McDonald & Whitaker, architects
Charles Dallimore, builder
Special architectural features The Anglican Church is a large rectangular building of light brick construction with a shallow pitched gable tiled roof.
Special fittings The building features narrow floor to ceiling windows to the side elevations, double entry doors and a bell tower. There are two small crosses to both apexes.
Other location information The first building, St. George’s Church Hall was erected on the corner of Niven Crescent and Lang St on land donated by Annie Niven c.1931 and the adjacent block bought by the Church c.1935. It was a weatherboard-asbestos building with an iron roof. This unlined building was dedicated by Archdeacon C L Riley on 14 April 1937 and was used as the place of worship for Anglicans until 1964. It was also used as a meeting place for community groups. The need for a larger building was recognised and plans were drawn up by Architects Ean McDonald & Whitaker. Local builder Charles Dallimore won the contract.

The Foundation Stone of the Church of the Holy Apostles was laid on 20 July 1963 by Canon Jaquet who had served Carnamah from 1928 to 1930 while based at Three Springs. The Church was consecrated on 7 March 1964 by Archbishop Appleton.

A feature of the building is the Church Bell Tower in memory of C W Dring and his mother. The Church Hall that had been moved to the back of the blocks continued to be used for community groups until it was demolished to make way for the transportable rectory purchased from the Mingenew Parish c.1974.
Name of contact
Mailing Address
Other contact information
Date of previous organs None
Detail of previous organs
Dates when key work has been undertaken
Dates of any moves that have taken place
Variations from original design of organ
Information on previous organs
Information about comparable instruments to previous organs
Present organ
Type of installation Free standing
Case description Polished wood display pipes
Placement in room Rear of the sanctuary, right side
Builder's name Paul F Hufner
Opus number Opus XIIX
Date of completion/installation 1964
Construction materials Mahogany timber
Number of manuals One (1)
Key compasses F-ff
Number of keys 49
Key material
Pedal compass None
Number of pedals
Pedalboard type
Pedalboard material
Type of chests
Type of key action Electro-magnetic
Type of stop action Electro-magnetic
Couplers None
Tremulants None
Accessories    None
Console type Tab stops
Stop label material
Placement Remote, but attached to organ case
General design
Playing aids Balanced swell pedal
Divisions    Manual
Wind pressures
Stop list
Bourdon  (Autobass) 16'
Claribel 8'
Principal   4'
Piccolo 2'
Sifflote 1'

Total number of stops Five (5)
Total number of ranks 1 rank extended
Total number of pipes 92 pipes
Dates when key work has been undertaken on current organ
Dates of any moves that have taken place to current organ Built for the Carnamah Community Church.
Removed because of high maintenance and servicing costs associated with travelling distance.
Installed in St Matthew's Church, Armadale, 1993
Relocated and installed in St Ninian & St Chad Church, Maylands
Relocated to Duncan Residence Clackline 2011
Information on current organ
Comparable instruments to current organ Similar organs exist in Collie, Bridgetown.
Current status
Assessment of organ
Other organs by this builder
Photographs Photographs of the organ from Irvin Phillips
Technical documents 

Heritage Council assessment:

General documents
Supporting information Advice from Dr Andrew Gardiner, November 2008.
Document control Original entries J R Elms, OAM, Gazetteer of Western Australian Pipe Organs, 1971, 1999,2003 and 2004.
This entry D B Duncan 26 November 2008.
Additional information from In The Pipeline April/May 2000.
Additional information from Shire of Carnamah and Heritage Council of Western Australia, 25 April 2016.
Photograph of Carnamah Church Bruce Duncan 30 September 2018